Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Remnant

Options
  • 04-04-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Anybody playing this? What do you think?

I'm playing it on the PC, downloaded it from Steam last week.

I'm not too far into it. I've just reached Elysion. Kind of mixed feelings about it so far.

I'm not liking the combat system at all, which is a big thing for me in these games. The last two JRPGs I completed and really enjoyed were FFIX and Dragonquest 8...I love traditional turn-based systems! This battle system just confuses the hell out of me at this stage and doesn't give me enough control. No say in when specific items are used, when special abilities are used, when magic is used...just vague suggestions like "Use Combat Arts", "Use Mystic Arts", "Keep HP Up"...:confused: I'd like a bit more control than that. It leads to stupid situations where you'll order a Union to heal, only to have the fighters who generally act first use healing items, leaving your Shaman healer who could use abilities to just idle in standby because the Union is fully healed! :mad:

I also find battles are too slow with Turbo-Mode turned off, but once Turbo is on it's impossible to get the triggers, so I put them on Automatic. Practically everything is automatic, the battles just play themselves, there's very little to do in 95% of them.

I'm finding the whole game plays itself actually, as somebody mentioned in a review. It's completely train-track linear stuff so far. There's no world map you can explore, and all areas are just made up of 2 or 3 small connected maps. Another gripe is how you can't even equip individual party members...you have to wait for them to ask for items in your inventory. :confused: I don't get that at all...

It looks great, very slick and I love the art. Have no idea if the story is going to be decent because I'm only a few hours in. The voice acting is annoying in places, but bareable. But it's definitely a disappointment in my opinion. I'm very tempted to drop this and pick up FFX, one of the few FF I haven't tried yet and from what I hear one of the best...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not going to bother with it. I used to buy anyhting that had squares name on it except the saga series because you were gauranteed a great game but lately they have gone to the dogs and frankly this looks like another ho-hum square effort. The fact that they made it more appealling for western audiences has me screaming and running in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

xbox 360 version has a lot of slow down and glitches
    wouldnt recommend it thats for sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

was gonna buy this,glad I did'nt now.

Advertisement