Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSTOR, bah!!

• 04-04-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Am I doing something wrong or does Maynooth not have the off-campus agreement thingy with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Can still only get the first page of my article =/ balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Go to this page https://login.jproxy.nuim.ie/login?qurl=http%3A//library.nuim.ie/resources/databases_index.shtml and log in and then you'll be redirected to the database page and then click into jstor and search for whatever you're looking for. You can view the files as pdfs aswell if that's any help (pdf link usually oppposite the bibliographic details at the top of the page)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The off-campus is useless.

Try google scholar with the title; you may get lucky and hit an article hosted on another open webpage/server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The off-campus thing is designed by apes. APES.

What efla said about Scholar. scholar.google.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I have used off campus to jstor all the time (& ebrary, newspaper archieves etc.) for last 3 years ( & different computers) with no major problems. Ebrary only works in internet explorer). I usaully use Firefox for the others. There was a problem a while ago with Firefox downloading PDF files .

As I already suggested, I bookmark the search page with above link and its gives me instant ascess after my log in page.

Oh it usually works fine, don't get me wrong. I just think that they could have made it easier. For a start, the off-campus link doesn't look like a link. It looks like a page header.

A big old button on the front page called 'click here for off-campus access' would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I dont know what it is - computerland mystery, it just plain doesnt work on my home computer most of the time

Yeah it's just not happening for me. Well, time to get a summary of the article, write the essay and pretend I did the readings so.

What's the article, Ro? I'll get it and send it to you.

robbbmm@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ana ng

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Can still only get the first page of my article =/ balls!

Double check to see if its a full-text article on JSTOR. Not all are. Are you reading it through pdf and getting only the first page?

Have to say that for me apart from some downtime the proxy yoke has been 100% reliable.

I'm just going to spend tomorrow librarying it up, thanks anyway folks!

Advertisement