Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Physics outside school - is it possible

Options
  • 04-04-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm in TY and just got my subject allocation for LC. Can't do Physics cause it clashes with Chemistry. Want to do both. Anyone know if I can study Physics course outside school anywhere. Mom says I can't cause I need to have experiments done. Is this true? Live in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

It's true that you need to have the experiments done if an inspector comes to the school. You could enrol in an evening leaving certificate course at the start of leaving cert year providing they do the experiments. NUI Maynooth cover the leaving cert experiments in a day but this probably doesn't satisfy the department of education regarding doing them over 2 years.

I'd say your best bet is to study the physics book on your own for next year and then enrol in an evening leaving cert course (they are 9 months long) usually held in VEC schools.

Look up www.qualifax.ie and it will give you a list of schools doing leaving cert physics in the evening.

Loads of people do physics and chemistry. I think your school has a bad timetable. Shouldn't have physics and chemistry clashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

There is something alright with having a teahcer to sign off on experiments aswell! Not sure if its possible because of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Bad choice, Physics and Chemistry done separate cause's problems with most universities and if you do both they may accept only one, check qualifax because I know there is some issue with doing those two subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

unknown13 wrote: »
    Bad choice, Physics and Chemistry done separate cause's problems with most universities and if you do both they may accept only one, check qualifax because I know there is some issue with doing those two subjects.

Physics and chemistry done together does not cause any problems with any course. I have plenty of friends doing both, and most of the chemistry class in my school do physics aswell.

However, you cant do physchem (Physics & Chemistry) is your doing either physics or chemistry!

Advertisement