Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pint of Miller or a pint of Club Orange?

• 04-04-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

So, which one is worse for you? Ignoring the obvious drunken effects of the Miller ... is a club orange "worse" for you?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ignoring the fact that you wouldn't drink 8 pints of club orange which would then give you the longing for the dirty kebab? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ignoring the longing for food that alcohol might give you yes.

How does 1 pint of Miller weigh up against a pint of Club Orange?
    3 pints of Miller versus 3 Club Orange?
    etc ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

100mls of Club Orange has:

57 calories
    14.3g carbohydrates
    0.1g protein
    <0.1g fat

100mls of Miller has:

39 calories
    3g carbohydrates
    (not sure about protein and fat)

So if you hold off on the kebab, I'd say a pint of Miller is better. Wny not try Miller Lite or another light beer? afaik, they all have around 100 calories/bottle.

I don't fancy beer some night because I don't fancy the side effects or else I want to drive, so different beers and calorie content isn't a major issue with the beer itself.

I guess I'd stick with my pint of blackcurrent ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The single beer is probably better for you health wise, like wine might be recommended. Though no doubt there will be other studies saying it is bad too!

Others reading this might be concerned with calories. The calories are less, but the calories are not equally used anyway. e.g. I drink about 6000kcal of beer per week, if that was 6000kcal of club orange I would be a lot fatter. Your body does not get the same use of energy and reaction to the 2 drinks, even though they have the same calories.

A pint of club orange costs a fortune too! For lower calories go with diet drinks or non alcoholic beers (which still do have calories but less than normal beer)

• Advertisement

You see, it's not a matter of lower calories really. It's a matter of avoiding the effects of alcohol from time to time. Generally I'd opt for a pint of lime or a pink of Blackcurrant or something but from time to time I fancy something else.

I don't like Diet drinks in general, I find they taste like crap. I'm not going to drink something that tastes like crap. The only one I like is Sprite zero but this is hard to get in a pub and I guess it's probably expensive too.

This question and discussion doesn't only relate to pubs though .. can relate to partys etc too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Random wrote: »
    You see, it's not a matter of lower calories really. It's a matter of avoiding the effects of alcohol from time to time. Generally I'd opt for a pint of lime or a pink of Blackcurrant or something but from time to time I fancy something else.
    Yes, I saw you mention the calories not being important, I added it in for others, many browsing this forum are on diets.

Diet club orange is my favourite diet drink, it is about 11% orange juice, so it is not "negligible calories" like the others. Also coke zero tastes very like real coke if you have not tried it. Some pubs put loads of blackcurrant in, I think to not appear scabby, I much prefer just a dash, will be a lot cheaper than those mini bottles. A coke is 200ml, takes just under 3 bottles to make a pint, thats €8.40 in my local:eek:

Well I guess in a way calories would be important .. but it's not the reason not to drink beer if you get me!

Advertisement