Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which NFL Pundit/Columnist/Blogger do you most respect?

• 04-04-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

With speculation season upon us and every man and his dog trying to make predictions and show off their knowledge and insight of the game, which expert's opinon do you most value?

I've been reading a lot of rubbish these days (except for on this forum of course! :cool:) so looking to branch out...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Peter King. Sports Illustrated magazine and si.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dr Z, one of the main reasons I started playing was because of him. I'm gonna be donating to the fundraiser for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Tom Waddle -ESPN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Michael Smith ESPN as well as the Boston Globe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not exactly what you asked but i think John Madden is the best colour commentator in all sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Really? I'm pretty tired of Madden. He gets kid's gloves off the play-by-play announcer and he primarily speaks in cliches.

For pundits, I like to hear the NFL Network's future hall-of-famers when they have a chance to talk about the specifics of their positions - Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders criticising drill technique at the Combine for example.

Other than that, I read Sando's NFC West blog on ESPN.com, and the beat writers on stltoday.com.

You get bull**** everywhere, and NFL coverage is particularly susceptible to cliches for some reason, maybe because of the amount of them that coaches and players spew. But yeah, my favourites are the people who know talking about what they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Dr Z is the man.

On the NFL Network Mike Mayock and Rod Woodson are the best all around pundits while Prime is just great entertainment. Marshall Faulk is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I tend to read them all and then pick out of what they say and if the majority of the other colunmists have said the same thing then I go with that. I find everyone of them BS in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

I like John Madden but more so 10-20 years ago then today. He's always got funny stories to tell and usually has his fingers on the pulse of what the players and coaches are going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

dukes.jpg

Jaime Dukes tbh:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Cheers for all the tips I've already changed my NFL bookmarks over to ESPN and SI. I found King's MMQB today much better than the average NFL read. I was getting a bit tired of the ex-pro's on NFL network tossing out their views without explaining the basis behind them in any detail and because of that I'd just think they're wrong all the time! ;) Rick Eisen and Sanders Claus will always be champs tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scally07

Mike Mayock on NFL Network commands a lot of respect, can't say i'm really a fan of any of the ex-players or coaches, Rod Woodson's the best of a bad bunch IMO.

Sanders is a knob, having a go at Cutler for being not being a team player and the whole 'he hasn't done much in this league' rant - not alone is it funny coming from him, but complete bullsh!t aswell considering what cutler has accomplished.

Love Rich Eisen with his 'Joe Flacooooo':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Scally07 wrote: »
    Mike Mayock on NFL Network commands a lot of respect, can't say i'm really a fan of any of the ex-players or coaches, Rod Woodson's the best of a bad bunch IMO.

Sanders is a knob, having a go at Cutler for being not being a team player and the whole 'he hasn't done much in this league' rant - not alone is it funny coming from him, but complete bullsh!t aswell considering what cutler has accomplished.

Love Rich Eisen with his 'Joe Flacooooo':D
    Apart from one 4500 yard season, what exactly has Cutler accomplished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Dan Pompei in Chicago Tribune, great read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I think Deion's brilliant just as pure entertainment, whenever he gets serious I have to turn him off though.

I thought Mayock was good too but that's been compromised since I heard this discussion:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f94811

If there was one thing that McDaniels could do that would be the complete antithesis of the ideas of the Patriots school of QBing, it is trading 2 first round picks for a possible bust. If Sanchez falls to no. 12 then OK but I'd be unbelievably suprised if the chose to do trade up, especially considering their defence & run game & the QBs that they already have.

It was actually after watching this video that I decided to start this thread.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Apart from one 4500 yard season, what exactly has Cutler accomplished?

The guy led his team to an 8-8 season with a defence ranked in the late 20's in all categories and a running game relying on udfa's, a rookie 7th round fullback(who turned out to be decent) and a bloke who sold phones in a shopping centre kiosk.

Granted he had a decent supporting cast in the passing game but what can he do without a defence? There mike linebacker was a converted rookie fullback ffs.

Hes proven enough in the last 2 seasons imo.

I think Deion's brilliant just as pure entertainment, whenever he gets serious I have to turn him off though.

I thought Mayock was good too but that's been compromised since I heard this discussion:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f94811

If there was one thing that McDaniels could do that would be the complete antithesis of the ideas of the Patriots school of QBing, it is trading 2 first round picks for a possible bust. If Sanchez falls to no. 12 then OK but I'd be unbelievably suprised if the chose to do trade up, especially considering their defence & run game & the QBs that they already have.

It was actually after watching this video that I decided to start this thread.

I mentioned this in another thread - try and get Brady Quinn and Denver fans have a young Q.b to get excited about.

The guy led his team to an 8-8 season with a defence ranked in the late 20's in all categories and a running game relying on udfa's, a rookie 7th round fullback(who turned out to be decent) and a bloke who sold phones in a shopping centre kiosk.

Granted he had a decent supporting cast in the passing game but what can he do without a defence? There mike linebacker was a converted rookie fullback ffs.

Hes proven enough in the last 2 seasons imo.
    You throw in two seasons at the very end of your comments.

Last season he was impressive, I have stated that already. 4500 yards sums up his achievements last year. It even makes him sound better than he actually was to be fair but he did do it and you cannot take it away from him.
    He is young, talented but to say he has proven himself is just going a little too far imo. One good season does not make you proven, look at Derek Anderson as the most recent example.
    I think he could be great myself but thats not to say that I think he is proven.

You throw in two seasons at the very end of your comments.

Last season he was impressive, I have stated that already. 4500 yards sums up his achievements last year. It even makes him sound better than he actually was to be fair but he did do it and you cannot take it away from him.
    He is young, talented but to say he has proven himself is just going a little too far imo. One good season does not make you proven, look at Derek Anderson as the most recent example.
    I think he could be great myself but thats not to say that I think he is proven.

I can see your point but if he had a defence that could stop anyone then none of this would even be up for discussion.

I think the comparison to Anderson is unfair, he had an emerging 3-4 d and Jamal Lewis on his side when he had a good season - and I wouldn't wright him off as a one season wonder yet myself but thats another topic altogether.

2 good seasons, exactly, he's only in the league 3.

How did this thread turn into a QB debate especially involving Cutler when there is another Cutler debate going on in the other Cutler trade thread. Where is a mod when you need one to merge certain posts into the other one.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just what i was gunna say before i saw your post :D

I can see your point but if he had a defence that could stop anyone then none of this would even be up for discussion.

I think the comparison to Anderson is unfair, he had an emerging 3-4 d and Jamal Lewis on his side when he had a good season - and I wouldn't wright him off as a one season wonder yet myself but thats another topic altogether.

2 good seasons, exactly, he's only in the league 3.
    Eh one good season, wheres the second good season you are talking about?

I tend to read them all and then pick out of what they say and if the majority of the other colunmists have said the same thing then I go with that. I find everyone of them BS in some way.
    I'm nearly the same, I read as much as I can on a subject but I'll make my own mind up after that. Kinda like the Cutler leaving the Broncos thing, while its clear that he was not staying, I still think it was badly handled by McDaniels and I think he has to take as much blame as Cutler for whats happened. Most of the writers were apportioning the blame unfairly imo. I do think that Cutler's agent had a big part but only after it all got started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Deoin Sanders may be totally wrong about some things but he is absolutely justified in his criticism of Jay Cutler.

Yes, perhaps McDaniels and his staff were not particularly wise to manouver for a trade for Matt Cassel but he is the coach of that football team and he has the final say. In the end they didn't trade for Matt C that should have been the end of the matter. That football team is McDaniels', he was looking for a QB to run his system. Cutler should have manned up and played for the team.
    In the end Cutler ended up flip-flopping on whether he did or did not wanted to be traded eventually landing at a Chicago Bears team where there is a distinct possibility that he will not flourish. That Denver offense and it's personnel could have taken Cutler far but he chose to give that up.

Eh one good season, wheres the second good season you are talking about?

3500 yards, 20 td's and a 7-9 finish on a mediocre team in his first full season as a starter.

Meh, overrated.

Back on topic, although he's not exaxctly a pundit as such, Adam Schefter is quality. He's been absent for most of the Cutler saga, which is strange given his Denver connections but I suppose now would be the time to get time off, post fa and pre draft.

Ok the next person to debate anything other than Pundits etc etc is going to get eaten by a starved 300 pound dude. And that icludes throwing in an argument and then right at the bottom saying back on topic. Wtf are mods when you need them. The majority of this thread is off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Adam Schefter is quality. He's been absent for most of the Cutler saga, which is strange given his Denver connections but I suppose now would be the time to get time off, post fa and pre draft.

His wife had a kid recently I think, can't blame him for taking some leave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

themont85 wrote: »
    dukes.jpg

Jaime Dukes tbh:pac:

The most annoying pundit I have ever seen or heard:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SimComSports

Coach Mayock or for his honesty Deion Sanders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The most annoying pundit I have ever seen or heard:mad:

Whar about Stephen A Smith or Tony Kornheiser on MNF?

Advertisement