Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older Clubbers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

This is very true as well.......

Many feel that the “superclub” explosion of the mid to late 1990s sucked the heart and soul out of their scene, so they prefer the idealistic house music of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

jonny68 wrote: »

That looks like a laugh. Most of my mates are in their early 30's and all we're looking for is a place that plays decent tunes like back in the day.
    I always get a great response from people when I play the classic tracks off vinyl. Good to see it coming full circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jonny68 wrote: »

Too true... Superclubs can be horrible, soulless places. It's all about raving it up in a small dingy club for me!

tman wrote: »
    Too true... Superclubs can be horrible, soulless places. It's all about raving it up in a small dingy club for me!

Most definitely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

When are you moving to Leeds? Sasha and Digweed are playing there on the 24th of May. Even though I'm doing exams at the time I'm seriously contemplating heading over to see the masters, its a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was just talking to herself about it recently, how we used to stay out all night and the dingier the club the better, ah the good ould days...could do with a proper burn out one of these dys,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Surely, "the classics" is a relative term. As a dj at mostly house parties now, I'm asked constantly for "classics", so I'd play LFO "LFO", Tricky Disco "House Fly", Stakker "Humanoid", Nitro Deluxe "Let's Get Brutal", Aphex Twin "Didgeridoo"...
    Then I'm told "they're not classics"!!!!
    So I say, "what are classics"???
    Most respond with, "oh the stuff they used to play in the Pod/Shaft in the early nineties"
    and I say "oh handbag house"!!!
    I'm not being smart here but the term "classics" is irrelevant in a general context because it means different music to different people.

Surely, "the classics" is a relative term. As a dj at mostly house parties now, I'm asked constantly for "classics", so I'd play LFO "LFO", Tricky Disco "House Fly", Stakker "Humanoid", Nitro Deluxe "Let's Get Brutal", Aphex Twin "Didgeridoo"...
    Then I'm told "they're not classics"!!!!
    So I say, "what are classics"???
    Most respond with, "oh the stuff they used to play in the Pod/Shaft in the early nineties"
    and I say "oh handbag house"!!!
    I'm not being smart here but the term "classics" is irrelevant in a general context because it means different music to different people.

Generally in Dublin you have the same say 20 odd tunes that would be deemed as Sides/Asylum/Olympic/POD/Shaft,etc,etc classics, the tunes you mentioned wouldn't really fall into that bracket but i cam see where your coming from.

There have been occasions ive played 91-93 UK hardcore at a party in Dublin at some people have said "jaysus what type of music is that" they'd never heard it (Eastern Europeans) but they loved it, it all depends on the situation and the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 premier-ent

That looks like a laugh. Most of my mates are in their early 30's and all we're looking for is a place that plays decent tunes like back in the day.
    I always get a great response from people when I play the classic tracks off vinyl. Good to see it coming full circle.

http://2fm.rte.ie/blogs/jenny_green/Star - Scene.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "older clubbers" still listening to what they listened to when they were younger is nothing strange in Europe - at trance events in Holland you get people who were clearly teenagers when the scene started there - 15 years ago - still going along now. At Trance Energy there was a group of women who were dolled up to the nines, probably for their one night out of the year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement