Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to DIY test for Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 04-04-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I get broadband from Digiweb. It is the Wireless Metro Service. It costs over €100 for a call out. I need to move the antenna receiver. What measuring instrument and what frequency is being measured to test the strength of the signal at a new location?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I get broadband from Digiweb. It is the Wireless Metro Service. It costs over €100 for a call out. I need to move the antenna receiver. What measuring instrument and what frequency is being measured to test the strength of the signal at a new location?
    It does not matter whether its metro or the homewave product you have, but the equipment required for either service in re-alignment would cost hundreds of euros compared to their call out fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's line of sight. If you can see the mast it will get a signal.

Get a call out then and it least you know it will work.

If you can't see mast from new location, don't get it moved.

I could be "more helpful" and tell what it is you need to measure etc, but if you have to ask, then that disqualifies you from getting the answer. If you have the gear to do the measuring, you can EASILY figure out what it is to measure.

I've installed and moved my own. But then my test gear is better than the regular installers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

I would have line of sight. They actually wont come out because even though I have clear line of sight they say it's out of coverage. I'd just like to double check myself

How do you know where the base mast aerials are?

Maybe it's too far?

They want to make money from customers. They are very unlikely to refuse to come if there is a chance of a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

I can see them. It's just over 10 km on google earth. Would this be too far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

I can see them. It's just over 10 km on google earth. Would this be too far?

10km is probably within their range but you'll never get a decent service. I've worked for three companies that each had Irish broadband two were within 2km of a mast and the third was based in clontarf and was setup on their bray mast but with a lot of connection problems. Your within range but outside the reasonable range for any wireless isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

With a clear LOS, clear fresnel zone and a strong enough antenna 10km shouldn't be a problem, depending on the base station though.

lambchops wrote: »
    10km is probably within their range but you'll never get a decent service. I've worked for three companies that each had Irish broadband two were within 2km of a mast and the third was based in clontarf and was setup on their bray mast but with a lot of connection problems. Your within range but outside the reasonable range for any wireless isp.

IBB is a Totally different system to Digiweb's Metro. Digiweb metro can deliver DSL/Cable like performance at 10km. It depends what height the aerials are on the base mast and what clutter is in between if 10km is possible. Also not all sites run full power. So you may be too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Depending on what equipment any WISP uses, it could be a 90' or 180' directional sector pointing the other way, You could be off the pattern. You could be a few hundred meters behind the sector in the other direction and not have any signal. They'll know exactly if they can cover You or not and they won't install where it has a chance of giving bother or is "just about" a signal.

Advertisement