Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth my while doing Computer Science Degree by night??

Options
  • 04-04-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Have a BSc..but got into IT after a few years of chemistry related work through BSc..Which is why I didnt go for it before..Have 7 years IT experience...The latter 4 being quite good...Have MCSA 2003, CCA,a couple of Novell exams, going for CCNA and Linux+ now as in between contracts etc and time is there to do it...Was thinking of doing degree before, ex work colleague of mine who has one from UL told me not to bother as I'm not going down programming route...He reckons it would be a waste of time..If I was to do it...I'd do it in the evening etc...Comments appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I have the computer systems degree from UL and would agree with your colleague that its focus is mainly programming but seeing the number of people who didnt do programming after graduating it doesnt really matter. Being honest you have a degree and very good real world experience and additional certifications i dont think a computer related degree would be of any significant bonus for the amount of work you would need to put in. What about a postgrad in project management for example? Or a pmi cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks for the reply Ginger..Yeah just looking for some modules to do as part of college course or something along those lines..Project management wouldnt interest me at the moment from a work point of view...Any other courses which you would suggest??

Possibly an ITT postgrad might be the best option. A second degree might knock you into the overqualified category for some employers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yeh, an IT Post-grad might be a good way to go. They're normally diploma but some of them are masters. Mainly 1-year but I think NUIG does two year course. I know UCD and Maynooth do 1-year Postgrad diplomas in IT. Some of the course material may be over-familiar to you as it can be aimed at people without a background in IT. But worth it if you want a 3rd level IT qualification.
    The colleges should be able to provide a syllabus for their courses. If you've done CCNA you should be well able for the one I did, except for maybe programming modules.

donaghs wrote: »
    Yeh, an IT Post-grad might be a good way to go. They're normally diploma but some of them are masters. Mainly 1-year but I think NUIG does two year course. I know UCD and Maynooth do 1-year Postgrad diplomas in IT. Some of the course material may be over-familiar to you as it can be aimed at people without a background in IT. But worth it if you want a 3rd level IT qualification.
    The colleges should be able to provide a syllabus for their courses. If you've done CCNA you should be well able for the one I did, except for maybe programming modules.

Thanks Donaghs, which one did you do out of interest??

• Advertisement

UCD Higher Diploma. Aimed at getting non-IT people into the booming IT sector. Worked for me, but times have changed!

donaghs wrote: »
    UCD Higher Diploma. Aimed at getting non-IT people into the booming IT sector. Worked for me, but times have changed!

I'm in it albeit not right now, due to downturn, as very quiet etc, was this an evening course, if i could find an evening course equivalent , that would be great.Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I am in DCU and there is a Graduate Diploma in Information Technology here, which is aimed at people who have a non-IT related undergrad degree. Maybe the right type of thing for op.

H2G2 wrote: »
    I am in DCU and there is a Graduate Diploma in Information Technology here, which is aimed at people who have a non-IT related undergrad degree. Maybe the right type of thing for op.

Thanks is there an option to do an evening version..I dont need it for roles per se as have over 7 years experience in IT, it would just be there for some circumstances etc

I have met a few people who've studied IT courses at night in Trinity and DIT (lots of people seem to do night courses in DIT). I had a look at the the DIT website, and this course perhaps could fit your requirements:
    http://www.dit.ie/study/postgraduate/browse/programmes/title,559,en.html
    The website layout seemed a bit confusing so I'd recommend giving their IT/Computing department a call to enquire about part-time/evening courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

In my opinion you should do some form of Business Information Systems degree. I think it would have more of an impact and would augment the skill set that you currently have.

I know much too many people that have gone through computer science without a real world understanding of useful programming afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

Thats the daddy if your in Dublin - IMO you could work in IT for 7 years and still not have the fundamentals (speaking from experience :))

john47832 wrote: »
    http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

Thats the daddy if your in Dublin - IMO you could work in IT for 7 years and still not have the fundamentals (speaking from experience :))

I totally agree..Would only really do it to supplement other exams tbh...Unfortunately there never is an endpoint in IT..Theres always something else to know!! :)

Looks similar to one I did back in UL way back in the day.

Tho I dont know if having a module in OOP is nec for a Network eng, i do think that understanding networking and of DBMS architecture.

The good thing about a proper 3rd level qualification is that you will always have it on your CV. Unlike a vendor telling you that your months of study and exams are now obselete and you will need to re-certify all over again.

True but I'll be honest the BSc has been a help to me also....There was no point in going back to do a full time degree course again..Hence my question here...I think the masters part time over 2 years in DIT could be a goer here..Thanks for all the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Thanks is there an option to do an evening version..I dont need it for roles per se as have over 7 years experience in IT, it would just be there for some circumstances etc

Yup it can be done full time (1 yesr) or part time (2 years) http://www.computing.dcu.ie/prospective/postgraduate/gdmsc/pt_course_structure.html. It also leads on to a 1 year part-time (only) MSc in IT. Could be a good option for ppl like you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Have a BSc..but got into IT after a few years of chemistry related work through BSc..Which is why I didnt go for it before.
    This might be of interest , it's full time though
    http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=MBIO&originating_school=
    A one-year full-time Masters programme featuring a common core curriculum with two distinct streams: Computational Systems Biology (MCSB) and Bioinformatics for Life Sciences (MBIO).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How do the part time MSc computer / mixed discipline courses in DIT / UCD rate in the job market compared to the Microsoft / Cisco courses ?

Advertisement