Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycles from Cork

Options
  • 04-04-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi can anyone recommend good cycles starting from Cork city? By good I mean fairly quiet roads if possible. Training for 100km but just getting started so up to 20 miles for the moment.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

From the Atlantic Pond (down by the Marina) you can cycle down the old Blackrock railway line as far as Rochestown, and the travel along the coastal paths down to Passage West and Monkstown and beyond. For the most part you will only meet walkers and cyclists. You can also take the ferry from Glenbrook across the river (1.50 Euro return) and cycle into Cobh. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ruth1234

thank you - that sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Dan Dare wrote: »
    From the Atlantic Pond (down by the Marina) you can cycle down the old Blackrock railway line as far as Rochestown, and the travel along the coastal paths down to Passage West and Monkstown and beyond. For the most part you will only meet walkers and cyclists. You can also take the ferry from Glenbrook across the river (1.50 Euro return) and cycle into Cobh. Good Luck.

don't forget to mention the amount of dogs not on leads!! Your cycle could turn out to be a pain if you go at a time when all the dog owners take their dogs out to use the walkway as a toilet loo and they let them off the lead...this really annoys me [as a runner] :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

don't forget to mention the amount of dogs not on leads!! Your cycle could turn out to be a pain if you go at a time when all the dog owners take their dogs out to use the walkway as a toilet loo and they let them off the lead...this really annoys me [as a runner] :mad:

Probably as annoying as having to scrape the dog sh*t out of the pram wheels before putting it back in the car after going for a walk there as most dog owners seem to be too ignorant to bother cleaning up the mess their mutts leave all over the path :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Oh dear.:eek: I have not encountered the dogs not on leads myself (I generally go down that way fairly early on a Saturday or Sunday morning). As for dog owners cleaning up their dog's mess, in 7 seven years living in Cork I can recall only one owner cleaning up after them, and that lady was certainly not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

ruth1234 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone recommend good cycles starting from Cork city? By good I mean fairly quiet roads if possible. Training for 100km but just getting started so up to 20 miles for the moment.

Thanks!

Personally, I much prefer training with a bunch of people rather than on my own. If you're similarly inclined, you may be interested in joining a bunch of us training for the Tour de Munster charity cycle in August. Training begins on Wednesday April 15th at 5.30pm starting from the airport business park and proceeds every Monday/Wednesday thereafter (+ some weekend spins) until the event. See http://www.tourdemunster.com for contact details if you're interested. Newbies welcome.

Advertisement