Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dragonball . . .

Options
  • 04-04-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

hi

whats the differences between the mangas and the anime of dragonball series and the z

which has extra ? would ye recomend reading or watching - both? - whoch first

thanks.

anyone know where to buy boxsets in dublin? all the series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Dragonball, the original manga, is the original work. It tells the story of Goku, starting from when he was 11, joining Bulma to search for the Dragonballs, all the way up through his various adventures and martial arts tournaments to the end of the Buu Saga.

Dragonball Z is an anime adaption of Dragonball, but starts about halfway through. Leaving out Goku's young years, teenage years, and all the adventures and Martial arts tournaments during that time.

Dragonball is longer, and I find to read it is better than watching the anime. The artwork doesn't feel as cheap, and the pacing is FAR quicker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's an anime of Dragon Ball that starts at the very beginning, but I don't think it was very well received in English-speaking countries because of the shonky dubbing work that was done on it (plus the addition of a bunch of poorly-executed censorship), hence the jump straight to Dragon Ball Z with the subsequent English translations. I saw it in Spanish years ago and the foreign dubbing work seemed to be reasonably good. Comparisons of a few scenes via Youtube suggest that the foreign dub was also closer to the original dialogue.

(Also, Wikipedia offers the following on the topic of the name:
    "The Dragon Ball manga was licensed for release in English in North America by Viz Media which has released all 42 volume in both censored and uncensored forms. Viz released volumes 17 through 42 under the title Dragon Ball Z to mimic the name of the anime series adaptated from those volumes, feeling it would reduce the potential for confusion by its readers.")

I have fond memories of watching the Dragon Ball cartoon as a kid, but having seen some of the horrible editing and voice-work used in the more recent English translations I imagine that reading it is probably the better experience. I've recently started picking up the manga and am enjoying it immensely so far, at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

but on the whole

if one were to watch or read both - not much would be missed or added in?

the basic plot is the same and the characters etc... ?

thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Overall as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same story in both, but I haven't watched the anime in years and haven't read all of the manga yet so I could be talking out of my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The anime does of course have plenty of filler episodes that you'd have to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

more episodes - lasts longer

i might watch - actualy finish watching / re-watch the anime and then start reading as often as i can

thanks! 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the newish remastered version of the anime is great getting it as soon as i can
    the 1st episode of the remake dragonball kai that started airing in japan is bad all it has going for it is that the 270 ish ep will be ground down to 100

Advertisement