Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

share Clearwire via WiFi?

• 04-04-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

i am using Clearwire at the moment, but i would like to share the connection with others in the house via wifi.

what kind of wifi router do i need? has to be the one on clearwire website
    http://www.clearwire.ie/?section=42

or just any router with wifi?

any suggestions?

by the way, the house is on upper rathmines road, is there other options for internet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Clearwire isn't normally fast enough or a decent enough cap for sharing,

Should be lots of options there.

If you connect to Clearwire modem via ethernet, then any NON-dsl Modem Router, which is variously described as ethernet WAN router (Komplett.ie) , cable router (Argos) or cable/DSL Router (Dabs). It has to have a 5th ethernet WAN port instead of built in DSL model and phone line. The alternate Clearwire USB modem is no use for a Router.

Investigate Smart, eircom, Digiweb (Wireless or DSL), NTL/UPC (you can get it without TV), IBB/Imagine's Breeze Wireless (not Ripwave).

Not any Mobile service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenLand

thanks mod, very detailed reply.

but i've called ntl, upper rathmines not covered.

called eircom, they said i have to setup phone line first but they can not guarantee the line quality is good enough for broadband.

no phone line, no Smart?

used IBB 2years ago, i remember it requires a antenna up the roof, landlord does not like it.

really leaves me no choice, i do not like clearwire but i have to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Smart any DSL needs phone line.
    Digiweb Wireless uses outdoor radio too.

Advertisement