Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat 128 engine timing belt

Options
  • 04-04-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Help needed ? Anyone have a fiat 128 manual ,I need to find out if timing is set on 1st or 4th cylinder to replace timing belt .Engine is 1300 cc (soch)was fitted to 128,128 3p and maybe some x19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

It's 20 years since I changed the belt on my 128 but I don't remember it being unusual - on any engine that I've come across its a case of aligning the pulley marks with the engine at TDC on cylinder 1. If it was me, I'd set it like that and turn the engine over by hand several times to make sure that there's no interference. Once you're sure that there's no interference you can try starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭rotorhead

Thanks for your reply. I am still wary of setting on cylinder 1. I have a uno manual for 1300 cc engine which states cylinder 4 see below. I know this is later type engine but I dont want a head full of bent valves.

28 Timing belt - renewal 3
    1 Set No. 4 piston at TDC. Do this by turning
    the crankshaft pulley nut or by jacking up a
    front roadwheel, engaging a gear and turning
    the wheel until the mark on the flywheel is
    opposite to the TDC mark on the flywheel
    bellhousing aperture. Remove No. 4 spark
    plug, place a finger over the plug hole and feel
    the compression being generated as the
    crankshaft is rotated and the piston rises up
    the cylinder bore.
    2 On some models the TDC marks on the
    crankshaft pulley and belt cover may be
    visible and can be used instead.
    3 Remove the alternator drivebelt (Chapter 2,
    Section 8). Unbolt and remove the timing belt
    cover.
    4 Check that the timing mark on the camshaft
    sprocket is aligned with the pointer on the belt
    cover backing plate (photo).
    5 Slacken the nut in the centre of the
    tensioner pulley and push in on the support to
    release the tension on the belt, then retighten
    the nut. Slide the drivebelt off the pulleys.
    6 Check that the crankshaft and camshaft
    pulleys have not been moved from their
    previously aligned positions.
    7 To check that the auxiliary shaft sprocket
    has not moved, take off the distributor cap
    and check that the contact end of the rotor
    arm is aligned with No. 4 HT lead contact in
    the cap.
    1•24 1116 cc and 1301 cc engine
    28.4 Camshaft sprocket alignment marks
    27.13A Removing camshaft end cover 27.13B Withdrawing camshaft from carrier 27.18 Tightening a camshaft carrier bolt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The autobooks manual for the 128 says "Check that no1 piston is at TDC and crankshaft pulley mark 7 is inline with fixed timing mark 5..."
    Here is a scan of that page of the manual..hope you can read it!!
    IMG-4.jpgIMG_0001-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Blue850

The photo om bottom right is from the Haynes manual for the 128

img014.jpg

I take it that there's no belt on the engine at the moment?

• Advertisement

Hi guys
    Thanks for your help. A bit more info . The engine is fitted to a uno race car belongs to my son . Gear linkage lost a bolt in last outing hence no 3rd gear or reverse. hit 1st gear at high revs but still finished race. linkage repaired but did compression test on engine,result very low compression on cyl 1 . timing gears marked and head removed suspected bent valves.New valves fitted and now ready for refitting cyl head and belt. Probable cause of damaged valve is belt jumping a tooth during last race so I want to be certain of timing marks for refit as the marks before removal may be off. Also cam wheel is not original and timing cover in image from blue850 is not fitted or available .Next race is Easter sunday mondello .

If the worst comes to the worst you could try it fitting it at either TDC on 4 or 1 and turn the engine by hand - you'll be able to feel any interference long before it becomes an issue. Even before that you should also be able to tell visually from the movement of the cam what the engine is up to as the exhaust stroke will hold the valves open for a lot longer than on the compression stroke.

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all your help. Up and running again and gone for final tuning.
    Maybe should stick one of attached in it !!! none of them valve thingies to worry about

Lol!Did you set the timing on 1 or 4?

Set on 1 as per advice received, had to move distributor a bit to get it fire up.
    Back from rolling road,dyno test today so ready for another blast around mondello on sunday

• Advertisement

rotorhead wrote: »
    Set on 1 as per advice received, had to move distributor a bit to get it fire up.
    Back from rolling road,dyno test today so ready for another blast around mondello on sunday
    Let us know how it gets on,stick up a pic of the car too maybe,unos are getting scarce even on the road these days.

Advertisement