Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft from my vehicle today at Clontarf Road Promenade car park

Options
  • 05-04-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

Mods please place this thread in the Crime Prevention or Clontarf Thread if there is one, Thanks

Parked up this afternoon in car park on Clontarf Road opposite John the Baptist church.

Girlfriend placed her hand bag and I placed my digital camera in the boot, nothing visible inside car to any passers by, put the trainers on and then set out for a nice 2 hour walk.

On return was horrified to see some s****bag/s had smashed the rear passenger window and pulled back rear car seat and gained entry into boot and stolen my girlfriends handbag , spare jacket and my digital camera.

Made all the usual calls to insurance company, Autoglass, Garda in Clontarf etc.
    Garda took all the details and got crime report reference number.

Garda Scenes of Crime Officer will fingerprint car tomorrow for any possible trace on car door and I will get car back tomorrow afternoon.

Gardai then rang back this evening to say my girlfriends handbag and spare jacket were found dumped on a road close to the break in with all her cards present but cash gone obviously.

There is no CCTV covering the car parks along Clontarf Road sea front, so I would like to warn anybody planning on going for a walk not to leave anything of value in the boot of your car.

I have been told by the Gardai that Dublin City Council own these car -parks and they are aware of break in's to cars parked in them.

It was an expensive lesson learned by both of us today but wonder what responsibility lies with the council. They had no signage regarding owners cars parked at your own risk etc etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What responsibility lies with the council?

Are you for real?

Did it not occur to you that placing your valuables in a car boot in a very public place might have been obserevd by somebody?

Perhaps you didnt think there was crime in the area and the council should take steps to warn us?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Basic advice if leaving valuables in parked car: Stop before you reach your parking spot, put valuables in boot, then proceed to parking spot. Putting valuables in boot after parking is foolish, as you can be observed doing so. It's like putting a banner on your aerial saying 'Valuables In boot!"

Council Responsibility? Don't hold your breath.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement