Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to get a lens cleaned inside?

• 05-04-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.. I have noticed some condensation inside my sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex lens.. Is it possible to get this fixed, or am I screwed? Not visible in photos yet, but I'm afraid for the future. The condensation is about half way down the barrell, I've left it in a sealed back with silica gel and it isn't working. If it's possible, where can I get it done, and have you any idea of cost?

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This can happen sometimes but it tends to dissolve when the temp equalises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Try putting the Lens in a warm dry place like the hot press, alternatively heat your fan oven to 45-50 degrees, place lens inside. Heat the oven from cold with the lens inside and after 30 mins or so turn oven the oven and allow the oven to cool with the lens still inside.

What you want to avoid is a sudden large change in temperature. When the lens comes up to temperature, extend and contract the lens barrell. I have done this with older all push pull zooms and some industrial lens that have been used in wet environments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When you take the lens out of the oven remember to let it rest before seasoning it to taste & then serve with a light dressing of extra virgin olive oil. :D

Seriously, the cool oven sounds like it may work but be careful with the temperature.

Have you used the lens in a cold enviroment & then brought it inside where it's warm & humid? This can cause condensation inside gear. You can avoid this by placing gear inside a sealed plastic bag in the cold before bringing it inside & allowing the temperature to stabalise before removing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Store it in a sealed bag with a Silica Gel sachet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Hmm.. it hasn't been outside in ages, so I don't think that's it, and our house is roasting for the last few months because of the new baby, so I'm starting to worry that it is the beginnings of fungus instead of condensation. I might try the oven thing, although I'm petrified of it, at the end of the day, there's a lot of plastic on the lens. If it is fungus, is it a write off? It's only slight at the minute, coming in from around the edge, and it isn't affecting picture quality yet. Does anyone in Ireland clean them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Answer to your question - YES - it is possible to get a lens cleaned inside.

you can try what other boardsies have said - I like the oven idea but would be concerned about warping any part of the lens.

if you want I can have a look and if required open it up - air the internals/clean parts and close it up again.

Cheers
    Paddy C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

any chance of pics of the condensation ?

PCPhoto wrote: »
    any chance of pics of the condensation ?

Thanks for the offer! I will try to take pics this afternoon, might be tough as it's hard to even see, you have to get the angle just right.

These aren't the clearest.. rushed with the baby waking!

It kinda looks almost like fingerprints on the inside, you can see it to the right of the image. Sorry it isn't more clear.

0DA4B32307784545A5E4DD2DEE2A7216-500.jpg

A85C2AD9721E49E9A209E783B820E662-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

On the oven thing, with the oven set low, you've got a stream of dessicated air, extending and contracting the lens will pump this air through the lens and evaporate the condensation, just use your common sense, if its too hot to keep you hand in there its too hot for the lenses.

If the lens is weather sealed, then once water gets the other side of the seal it'll remain there, putting a weather sealed lens in a bag with dessicant may not be that effective.

How old is the lens, what model is it? Some of the older optical cements use to fuse internal optical groupss together can degrade over time to become translucent. Does it look like this fogging was wiped on or like a concentric smear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Sigma Lenses are Distributed by Hahnel in Bandon, Co. Cork. They have a good service set up, but the labour time will probably be charged at a minimum of an hour. I would try the hotpress for 24 hours and then the service route if that does not work.
    Ps Don't go the oven route if you have Gas as gas gives out moisture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Sorry to jump in on your thread.
    I bought a nikon 18 - 200mm at xmas and only recently noticed a mark on the lenses. I dont think its a scatch but it doesnt wipe away. I have extra careful with it and bought a cloth for cleaning.
    The other day I blew on the lenses to try and get rid of some dust and, this might sound weird, a bit of saliva landed on it. I wiped it off but now I can see marks on the lense. Surely these cant be scratches?
    Anything like this every happen to anyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is the reason you should have a UV filter on the lens.

Advertisement