Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website

Options
  • 05-04-2009 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All this is my first time creating a website and i was just looking for some feed back on it please no mather how good or bad it is lol
    check it out for me www.seag.ie

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I like the simplicity of the site, but the colours wouldn't really be my thing. Also I don't see the point of the moving logo and clock at the bottom.

I will also say (sorry) it looks a bit like a website from the 90's!

But it's a nice, clean design with easy navigation and that's the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

For a first attempt it isn't too bad.

I personally don't like it, the colours are all wrong.
    The logo could be a lot better, the reflection isn't good.
    The border around text with the shadow doesn't look good.
    Remove the time/date on bottom, looks a bit pointless.
    The heading of each page, the blue underlined doesn't work.
    Those lines around logo are bit much, especially being multi coloured. Must you use this logo, is it official one?

As say good for first attempt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd get rid of the horizontal scrolling OP. You've two inches of wasted space down the whole left hand side of the page. Get the page centered up properly and it'll look a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭LowOdour

If you have not done alot of web stuff before then fair play for giving it a go. From the looks of it your doing it for a good cause.

There are alot of problems with it though. It all seems abit big and loud for my liking. Text is big, images are big etc. Not always a bad thing and yours could be ok with a better design.

Ive maximised the browser and their is a scroll bar at the top of the page...looks bad. Its probably a div thats doing it. Getting some errors about undefined variables as well.

Most of all please change the page titles. April>> Page 1 of 6 looks really bad and makes no sense. Give the pages correct titles.

Hope we all havent put you off the web design thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

The Good
      I think the logo(figure of a person) is quite good but make it a little bigger and stop it floating around the place.
    • The central layout idea is fine just make sure its centred and not to one side.

The Bad
      The colours jarr,the background gradient doesn't do much for you either.
    • Change the page titles to something meaningful e.g. Seag.ie - Meetings
    • Get rid of the time and date at the bottom of the page
    • Lose the drop shadows
    • make the "next meeting"/"last meeting" buttons rectangular and a single colour - get rid of the little ball thing

There is another logo at the bottom of the screen "SEAG" is this the groups logo or is it the colourful figure at the top?

It's a good first time effort,and well done for helping out the group.

If I could offer my own take on your website I'd say create a central layout 800 or 1024 pixels wide with a white background. Leave the colourful logo where it is and put the name of the group on the same line.
    Pick a colour for the area with the navigation links - maybe one of the colours from the logo?
    Give it a go and come back here with any problems?

if you want to learn HTML and CSS, www.w3schools.com is a great place to start:

HTML:http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

CSS:http://www.w3schools.com/css/

The basics aren't too difficult. I hope some of that helps you on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fogibear

just jumping on board the originall question have just developed a site also for a friend of mine first time also would really appreciate some feed back especially how to enhance the listings on google www.dublinairportjobs.com :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why not setup your own thread instead of hijacking his?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

I think you could make it look much better with blogger you can set that up to have the name of your site and its really easy to edit things with it. But good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MontyPL

suirfire wrote: »
    Hi All this is my first time creating a website and i was just looking for some feed back on it please no mather how good or bad it is lol
    check it out for me www.seag.ie

What I like? Colours are nice. It's also good that the site is simple.

I don't like the fonts and fonts decoration. There are also some errors (site isn't in the centre of screen, you can see the pixels in SEAG logo and it's too low). Useful links are not necessary imo. But I mostly dislike the background, the site looks like from 90's because of it, as mentioned earlier.

If it's your first website, it's pretty ok. My first one was much much much worse ;) People always are very proud of their first website but when they're getting more experiance, they're changing they mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm with the other guys who don't like the colours.

Also your contact email is wrong. it's a http link to www.mick@seag.ie, which is just a link back to the site with a user name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement