Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Booster - Speeds up PC during gaming!

Options
  • 05-04-2009 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

So I seen this on the net the other day and said I would post this here:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html#

"Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button."

It works by temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance. That means you can keep all the features of Microsoft® Windows Vista® and XP® ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business – gaming.

I was a little suspicious of this at first but it turn out to be a really cool idea! It is just a small program that is quick to download and when you first start it up it gives you a list of all processes and background programs that run while gaming and that are not neccessary so you can just click the ones you want to turn off. Then in future just hit one button to turn everything off then back on again after gaming. I managed to get an extra 1 or 2 FPS out of GTA 4 which is cool as every little helps! Give this a shot.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Do you know what else helps?

Not being an idiot and know what you have running that could be eating up resources :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Do you know what else helps?

Not being an idiot and know what you have running that could be eating up resources :rolleyes:

Well to be fair: a knowledge of how to use msconfig and what runs in the backgroung is beyond most users or they couldn't be arsed spending the time to learn it.

A tiny, handy little app that does the hardwork for them is hardly a crime is it?

Not a crime, but most apps like these really don't do much and are still pretty expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

Hmmm lets see...manually going into task manager and closing every process and and resources hogger or hitting one button to turn all the ones you want off then back on again.

And does this program decide which applications are important to enough to not kill or kill?

The only reason you have a problem is because you installed a load of crap in the first place no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

And does this program decide which applications are important to enough to not kill or kill?

The only reason you have a problem is because you installed a load of crap in the first place no?

I think you're being a bit hard on the OP there man
    I use it, its handy, It works by temporarily shutting down Windows background processes that are not required for gaming that use resources. I don't know if you're refering to windows as the 'load of crap installed'
    It also gives you the option to shut down other process' running, in my case usually adaware & avg, it doesn't decide itself.
    It would probably take upwards of five minutes to locate and shut down every process game booster shuts down with the click of a button.

It has a somewhat extensive list of common things that can be shut down in nearly everyones windows like for example windows search in the background and then you have the option of selecting other additional things it detects like scheduled virus scans, google updater, java and java updater and a few other bit like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

without sounding like a complete cunt most of the people that use this forum know how to manually disable all of the background processes and would not trust some freeware app to do it for them. But for those that dont know what to do i suppose it can come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I counted 71 process' listed in game booster that the app will stop at the click of a button (obviously not all 71 will be running on everyones pc)
    If it makes you feel knowledgeable and/or intelligent to go through each of these and manually disable them before gaming, then afterwards manually enable them just because you can, I'm afraid you have far too much time on your hands.

if you're refering to windows as the 'load of crap installed'

vista? :P

• Advertisement

I counted 71 process' listed in game booster that the app will stop at the click of a button (obviously not all 71 will be running on everyones pc)
    If it makes you feel knowledgeable and/or intelligent to go through each of these and manually disable them before gaming, then afterwards manually enable them just because you can, I'm afraid you have far too much time on your hands.

LOL

71 non-essential processes, hmm...

please refer to my earlier post about loads of crap installed :)

you dont have to be genuis to realise that all these ****ty programs are slowing your computer down

LOL
    please refer to my earlier post about loads of crap installed :)
    you dont have to be genuis to realise that all these ****ty programs are slowing your computer down

Most people in this country have no IT training what so ever.
    They expect PCs to operate as easily as a toaster or a telly.

Most people do not have the interest, the time or the skill to learn these things. That is the reality. (A regular user shouldn't have to learn this ****e anyway, the OS should be well designed enough to breastfeed the user without them having to think....)

The nerdcore standard tiny penis syndrome of:

"oh what do you mean you think its hard, all you need to do is recompile the kernel, reconfigure dingbat.conf and then run the l337konsolecommand -i -have -a -tinypenis command from the terminal."

"<scoff>What do you mean you don't know what a kernel or a terminal is? God if you are that stupid don't like use a PC dude.</scoff>"

This attitude generally leads to badly designed software that is difficult to use and quite frankly helps no one.

TBH quickly testing the game booster: it's very light weight, it used between 1100-4200k in memory while running, once you are done you shut it down, it doesn't auto start, you manually run it. It's not a hog.

Something as simple as this should have been built into Vista and could have been a nice marketing feature, bar MS prob would have over complicated it and made it ass.

Game Booster is: Simple, gets the job done and is lightweight. It helps speed up a persons pc without them resorting to learning how to use msconfig, services.msc or creating batch files to start and stop services.

So as far as I am concerned its a win for joe public.

No, i dont manually disable all the **** before gaming. I have it disabled all the time. If you dont need it there is no point every having it on in the first place. But 77 processes is crazy.

'Joe public' generally plays on a console, not a PC, and he definitely does not notice the extra 1 or 2 fps in GTA4 :rolleyes:

'Joe public' generally plays on a console, not a PC, and he definitely does not notice the extra 1 or 2 fps in GTA4 :rolleyes:

True but not all users of PCs are l337 ninjas, some people just like to play the odd PC game without getting terribly hardcore into tweaking windows for max performance.

A lot of people like to buy a Dell XPS and play some games. I would say the vast majority of PC gamers don't build their own PCs, overclock, upgrade their GFx cards every year etc...
    (not everyone wants to be l337 h4x0r....)

Game booster is for them: just does a simply job well. Again i am amazed MS haven't stolen the idea, something simply like game booster in Windows 7 would be a nice feature. They bloody should.

I don't see a problem having software to make a user's life easier.:confused:

Oh of course, because even though you spend a couple of grand on an XPS system you will still need this program to install a go-fast button

Oh of course, because even though you spend a couple of grand on an XPS system you will still need this program to install a go-fast button

They are the kind that would ;).

(who the feck else would bother buying a XPS overpriced gaming rig when they could their own for half the price :D)

What the F*ck is with people who think they are deadly at pc's being so god damn hostile with this app?

Either you dont know how to turn everything of and this program does it all you (thats a win) or you already know everything there is to know about pc's then you just saved yourself time turning them all off! How is that not good or do you have to go through them all manually one by one just to feel smart?

Win Win WIn situation :pac:

I'd still rather do it myself then let some nublet app do it for me.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, use the "go faster button"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Anti wrote: »
    No, i dont manually disable all the **** before gaming. I have it disabled all the time.
    +1
    There's some awful shít out there... I had to stop using AVG because of some recently introduced asshole background process that insisted on running, where the only way to remove it was to reinstall with some switches. :rolleyes:

I love how almost every application you install thinks it's the bees-knees and the only app installed on the system... you haven't even tried the program yet, but it's so good that you already want it as your browser toolbar and to have it standing by in the system tray at all times... urgh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What the F*ck is with people who think they are deadly at pc's being so god damn hostile with this app?

Either you dont know how to turn everything of and this program does it all you (thats a win) or you already know everything there is to know about pc's then you just saved yourself time turning them all off! How is that not good or do you have to go through them all manually one by one just to feel smart?

Win Win WIn situation :pac:

I see where you're coming from but in fairness you posted this in 'Tweaking and Modding'. Most people here would consider an app that turns off services for you an insult to that very ideal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

This is so friggin ridiculous everyone is very hostile and being idiots, well excpet ColnelCarnage.

Simple Facts:
    The app is clever and useful,
    It saves you ten minutes of disabling s**te
    It's also useable for people without high level IT skills.

I think some of ye need to get real and realise that disabling apps manually each time before you play a game is just plain stupid, especially when one button can do it.

Nuff said. Of course it's valuable to know how to do it in msconfig yerself but this app is clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

eshortie wrote: »
    This is so friggin ridiculous everyone is very hostile and being idiots, well excpet ColnelCarnage.

Simple Facts:
    The app is clever and useful,
    It saves you ten minutes of disabling s**te
    It's also useable for people without high level IT skills.

I think some of ye need to get real and realise that disabling apps manually each time before you play a game is just plain stupid, especially when one button can do it.

Nuff said. Of course it's valuable to know how to do it in msconfig yerself but this app is clever.

Huh, not every time I want to game, set the services to manual once, then they won't start until I want them to, even after a reboot. Vista has loads of services set to automatic that are not needed, these start everytime You reboot unless You set them to manual. This isn't done in msconfig, but in services.msc

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    This isn't done in msconfig, but in services.msc

My bad, was in a typing frenzy :)
    What I was saying is that the app is useful and that everyone arguing over it is plain foolish. It's very useful for those who don't know much bout IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

eshortie wrote: »
    My bad, was in a typing frenzy :)
    What I was saying is that the app is useful and that everyone arguing over it is plain foolish. It's very useful for those who don't know much bout IT.

Yep, for Alienware owners :D

I'd rather manually do it and know exactly what I'm stopping

Thank god I'm not one of those :D

Yeah we all would like to know exactly what's happening.
    From the consumer point of view it's acceptable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I'm an avid gamer, so is my daughter. her pc is oldish so I'm going to give this a try on hers.. Thanks m8.
    And I do think it's pointless arguing over this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

nice find,

but welcome to tweaking and modding. unless you can have the x factor, expect the largest amount of abuse in a nice way from all the regular guys in here.....

:p

im sure a lot of people who dont know much about computer's will find this handy. as for the rest, well they dont need to use it as they're so smart to do it themselves... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I installed this on my daughters PC last night and fired up Day of defeat.
    :D Got a great result!!!
    This really was a good find!
    The program actually shuts down a lot of background programs that do not appear on the 'running processes' list in the task manager and also some that do.
    And as previously stated, 'a click of the mouse'. It then restores the them again in one mouse click.
    If I had I lower end PC I would much rather utilise this program than shut down each process individually.
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

you people need to overclock more,

no crappy program is going to slow me down

pump up the volts

Advertisement