Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilmainham Gaol Exhibition

• 05-04-2009 8:42am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Have been working on getting an Exhibition of photographs of Kilmainham Gaol ready. There is a group within DCC that has been working on this. The selection was done recently & we now have 66 images from over 300 supplied. Personally I have had six of my images selected.

7BA976AF938B45E185421DEE34A1A819-800.jpg

794D9D14408541DCAB1C47EBC3B53992-800.jpg

FC0BCB79F7CF4F7583C63A4238700B73-800.jpg

55069EDFED0440CC8C5976BA6D6804F1-800.jpg

Beware of the thing that is coming, beware of the risen people
    Who shall take what ye would not give.
    Did ye think to conquer the people, or that law is stronger than life,
    And than men’s desire to be free?
    We will try it out with you ye that have harried and held,
    Ye that have bullied and bribed.
    Tyrants… hypocrites… liars!

3BDF1DF6882A4961A9346AE89D73A144-800.jpg

DFFAA840D7FF4339BBC911E714A1F38D-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Great set, #2 especially stands out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Great shots Tony. I especially love the first one and the last one. I like the way the steel cables in the cage surround you and give you the feeling of being trapped as well as the leading lines bringing you down the escape route.

I got two shots accepted which I am delighted at.

3373752439_eb3741cb10.jpg

3358470738_a277bd25b8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Some great shots there, some are very symmetrical.
    (I just clicked on your link but got 'denied' !!, pity !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Hey,

Is it too late to enter some shots?

2693506932_a6a9769725.jpg?v=0

2693891578_b311f435ec.jpg?v=0

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

some lovely shots

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

3358470738_a277bd25b8.jpg

Is this the new shot?

Really nicely done. Glad you got them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

great images you guys. I sooooooooo want to get to gaol (eh.... as a visitor). But someone told me that access to Kilmainham as a normal visitor is limited and you don't get to casually wander around unless part of a specific 'approved' visit.

Great work anyway you people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Access is via a Guided Tour, which is good value (less than €6) & you see most of the Gaol. It is a busy site & to have people just wandering around would not be safe.

Access to see the exhibition will be free of charge. It will be open to the public at the beginning of May.

It was a real privelidge to have access to such an atmospheric site & there has been some great images produced.

Have been in the club tonight doing the framing. The prints look really good.

Official launch is next Thursday night. It will be open to the public as of next Friday until August 2nd.

Really looking forward to seeing this on the walls now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Is it opening at the gaol itself ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

did the horizon police not get to you on no. 3??? :D

beautiful series... captures the place wonderfully

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Is it opening at the gaol itself ?

The exhibition will be inside the Gaol itself.

Entry to the Exhibition is FREE, you just need to get a ticket at the front desk so that they know the numbers on the site. If you want to do the tour while there (recommended) then it will cost about €6 for an adult.

I have been asking about a Boards Photography tour of the Gaol & will try to organise something a bit later in the year. This would not be the full access given to DCC for this project, but more like a tailored tour with photography in mind. It is a very busy site & it may have to be on a weekday morning.

Three from Boards were in the Project. They were myself, Buzz Lightyear & Sineadw, unfortunately Sineadw did not submit any images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I was up in the Gaol this evening with Cabansail on a few other from DCC laying out the images in the exhibition rooms. With nearly 70 prints in mounts and frames they looked very well. The layout was based on areas themes and how each print looked beside each other, with everybody that was there having a say in the final layout.

I can't wait to see the prints hung on the walls. Roll on Thursday's opening to the exhibition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Pics look good, well done

I have just finished emailing the Layout to the Gaol. It is interesting how the order of the prints can make such a difference.

Some really nice work in this exhibition. Buzz's picture of the 1916 Gallery has pride of place over the Mantle in the Govenor's Room.

It's going to look great when it's hung as the exhibition space in the Gaol is lovely. Really light & will show the images well.

We had the Exhibition Launch at the Gaol last night.

It's really good to see it all on the walls.

It's amazing how many people who have lived for years within a few miles of the Kilmainham Gaol have never visited. It's a really interesting tour for only €6. Entry to the Exhibition is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It was a really lovely launch last night - thank you AGAIN for all the organising Tony! I'm sad I didn't get anything in. I'll actually have time to go through them all now though so they might yet see the light of day. I have soooooo many shots to process from the last three months or so..

To all - the exhibition is really beautiful - I can't recommend a visit enough! And Tony's right - if you've never done the tour then you really should - its a stunning place. It was amazing having such free access...

Thanks to Marcus, we have now set up a Group on Pix.ie

Kilmainham Gaol in Focus

Some of the images in the exhibition are on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

All,

went to see this on Sunday, and I have to say congrats to all. Some excellent work there!

This exhibition has been extended.

It was due to close on August 3rd but will remain hanging until the end of September.

So if you gave not been along yet there is a bit more time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement