Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats better, Optical or Coaxial?

• 05-04-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I just got a Sony HT-SF1300 that has both these inputs, and I have an old Sony 725 dvd player that's region free and still has a great picture (I paid £500 12 years ago!), this has both out puts.Which one would be best for surround sound?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

In theory they should be identical.

However, one converts optical 1's and 0's to electrical 1's and 0's and then back into optical for transmission, while the other reduces the optical/electrical electrical/optical conversions by 2.

This means that co-axial is "simpler" and simpler generally is better.

The caveat is that electrical signals are more prone to interference than optical ones (assuming that in optical, the signal received is the signal sent), and hence requires better/more screening which equates to more expensive cabling.

The next difference is the conversion circuitry in both the source and processor. One may be better than the other.

Whether you can tell the difference between all the combinations is up to you, so try them both and see which one you like best, at the end of the day, it's the same signal.

Advertisement