Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert choice

Options
  • 05-04-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am currently a transition year student and I have to make my subject choice for the LC in two weeks.

So far I have picked:
    Maths
    Irish
    English
    French
    Chem
    Bio
    Ag science

For the last choice I am stuck between physics or accounting.

Is there anyone who has done three or more science subjects for the leaving cert? Was it hard?

I am fairly decided on doing vet med/med in college. Should I pick a 4th science or accounting.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Are you good at the sciences? If you are it will be no problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

physics isnt bad if your alright at maths. A good bit of the theory part in physics links in with the other sciences, especially chemistry, but there are a LOT of formulas in it. Its very doable though when your bothered.

cant say anything about accounting im afraid. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 byrne-himself

Heyy...im in leaving cert at the mo and applying for medicine, my subjects are:
    English, Irish, Maths, French, Chemistry, Biology and Accounting.

So far, all your subjects will fulfill requirements for medicine or vet med. Definately stick with the language, ul need it for most of the colleges that offer medicine, and you're definately safe with the 3 sciences..the most ul need is 2 for requirements.

When i picked my subjects, i made sure i was filling the requirements with the language and the 2 sciences. After that, it was which subject i could do the best in for points. For me, thats accounting, id say if you liked it at junior cert its fairly easy for leaving cert. Its mainly practising all the types off questions, nothing too difficult to pick up if you were good at it for junior cert :) Also, it leaves your options open for business courses in case you change your mind over the next 2 years!!

As for choosing physics, i dont know much about the course, but i know some people who are doing it now find it quite hard, even the brainiest guys in the year :o but then, if you have an aptitude for science you might find it easier than accounting. Just think about if you can put up with 4 sciences...i wouldnt!! But thats just me...i find accounting kinda a breath of fresh air after all the sciencey subjects :D

Hope that helps!! :)
    exact same as me along with medicine as my choice for uni, except i have german instead of french.

don't know about phisics but if you like maths it seems to be a gd choice. accounting is gd because you know what sort of questions come up, what i mean is its a practice subject, the more practice you do the easier it is. there isint a great deal they can change

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You have 7 subjects there, do you really need an 8th? If you don't think you can get the points you want with the 7 you have there then choose whichever you think you'd be best at. Apparently the maths in physics isn't too hard and the theory is meant to be alright. Accounting is very boring so I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Well if you're good at arithmetic and method then accounting is a great choice, although it doesn't really serve much purpose so physics could be more interesting.
    But as was said above, 8 subjects is probably too much unless you're taking two at pass or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I probably go for Accounting but I was always dreadful at Science lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

go for it!! im doin phys and chem!! regreat not doin bio too im in 6th year now (and should be studying rather than answering this ahaha)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I am currently a transition year student and I have to make my subject choice for the LC in two weeks.

So far I have picked:
    Maths
    Irish
    English
    French
    Chem
    Bio
    Ag science

For the last choice I am stuck between physics or accounting.

Is there anyone who has done three or more science subjects for the leaving cert? Was it hard?

I am fairly decided on doing vet med/med in college. Should I pick a 4th science or accounting.

Thanks

I did,

Math
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Applied Math

all for the L.C, taught myself Applied Math too, got A1's in 4 of them and an A2 in Chemistry. If you have an analytical mind then it should be no problem really, they compliment each other nicely and is a nice way to open your mind up to science and things.

Do what you're interested in mate, that's the most important thing really.

Advertisement