Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family pic question

• 05-04-2009 10:20am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Parents anniversary is coming up soon and would like to get a family picture taken - but theres 33 folks - with 16 kids incl in that. I contacted one or two studios to check on prices/studio size and nothing has come of it. Well -Venture does have the studio size but the price is very dear.

Any recommendations out there - Dublin county would be best suited.
    For a 33 person picture is a studio the best option - would an outdoor setting be worth considering ?

Thanks for any input to this,

k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

in my opinion for 33people - you might be better with an outdoor session - it could end out looking like a football team squad photo.

back row standing up,
    middle row sitting on chairs
    front row sitting on the ground.

Parents ideally in center of pic

of course - parents with each family, all grandkids, all kids etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what about doing it somewhere like powerscourt house or something , where there is a large set of steps etc to use

or somehwere like the japanese gardens

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

good ideas there stc

Can anyone suggest a ballpark figure for an outdoor shoot like this ?

I know there are a lot of variables - location, lighting/weather,pic frame and mounting etc but a basic gauge would be helpful.

with regard to the actual picture and mounting - does the photographer usually do this ?

Thx folks,

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I did one the other night, went out to shoot a wedding anniversary of 10 person group and when I turned up there were 40 people wanting to get in the group. three flashes and a 17-40 later it was done, not happy about it sprung on me but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there are soooo many variables in terms of price

some photogs will do printing and framing, some wont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I tend to keep the price low for the shoot and charge more for prints/slideshows/framing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

have you thought about an elevated photograph? I run a business in Clonmel doing this, and it would be ideal for you. There is someone inDublin doing it, give them a call, they may be interested in doing it. Too far for me.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

good idea the elevated option - hadn't heard of that service before in Clonmel

I'd go for an outdoor shoot if possible, you have more options available in daylight than you would have in a small studio or hotel function room etc.

good luck

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Hi Fionn,
    If you have not seen my van around, you must be the only one. Stands out like a sore thumb. haha, good for business.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

OP, I'd recommend thinking of something different for a group like that. How about finding somewhere (like Powerscourt etc), set up a picnic with a couple of the immediate family groups in a small area, find an elevated spot, get everybody to turn and face the camera, and "Cheese!"
    A 3 or 4 tier line up could end up as somebody pointed out looking like the local GAA squad photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you are doing an overhead shot you could make a circle of family members holding hands with parents in center......or parents in center and their kids making a smiley face (use imagination)

theres loads of different situations you could create your unique family portrait - similar to a wedding ...... the couple are the main focus, but everyone else wants to get their pic with the couple !!!

its important that you know what you want before you find a photographer - or maybe that you agree with your photographer as soon as possible on what you expect from the photoshoot.

Parents
    parents and their kids
    parents and grandkids
    parents and individual families (their kids families)
    group pic (Everyone)
    individual pics of each of parents
    generic parents holding hands / walking into sunset etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

mlumley wrote: »
    Hi Fionn,
    If you have not seen my van around,

I don't get out enough :o

well done - hope it's going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I would recommend an outdoor shoot also. Most photographers will give you an hourly rate, i.e. if I am booked to get one photograph I will also shoot a variety of different ones also, get more for your money, each family individually, all the girls, all the boys and so on.

There are many many lovely parks you can go to and I recently arranged for another photographer, dodgykeeper to take pics of me and mine. We had them taken in the Phoenix Park at the bandstand and it was great. When you have that many people in it can get a bit messy though so I would suggest even deciding on a colour scheme or dress code for the shoot, you may feel like muppets all dressed alike for a bit but it would be worth it for the shot, so all girls could be in black dresses and boys in black suits or you could say everyone should be casual in jeans and white tops.

Advertisement