Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insert coin again and again and again

Options
  • 05-04-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

yes this is a phraze we have often seen or heard in the arcades back in the day, before we had consoles or if you had one when it didnt match up to the arcade.

So what was your first game that you put your money into, and kept putting it into (putting it into yes yes i know ) until the game was finished or you had no money left.

Double Dragon........ f*ckers had it coming especially the machine gun boss at the end.

Bubble Bobble impossilbe to finish.............

SF2 trying to get the special ending

a few of many i could name!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Some great memories of these, Bomb Jack, Bobble Bobble, Wonder Boy, so many more I just can't remember, signs I'm gettin old. I actually remember Asteroids in the very early 80's and my Grandmother telling me "You shouldn't be wasting Your money on those things"
    I do remember when me & my mate could clear Golden Axe from start to finish on just 10p each, we were the L33Test in town

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shinobi, while on holidays in France. Got pretty good at it, but it got too hard for me near the end (I was about 15 at the time).

Of course I can finish it now on 1 credit - goes without saying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

First arcade game I ever played was Bubble Bobble,first one I spent a few credits on was one of the metal slug games when I was in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

used to be a great little arcade in Swords when I was a kid. It wasn't advertised, or even had a sign outside, you just went up these stairs, knocked on the door, and a guy let you in. I was around 10 when a friend of a friend showed me it. When I think back it was so dodgy as at one end there was a load of old dudes on gambling machines, and all us kids where locked in with them. I suppose back then people didn't assume every unshaven guy over 40 was a paedophile though :rolleyes:

We used to always play Final Fight, never completed it, 20p for 1 go, 50p for 3. Used to love the subway level and the guy who looked like Zangief.

We used to always play Metal Slug also but I sucked at that, so didn't waste too much money on it.

When I got into secondary school another, larger, legit arcade opened in Swords. Our school breaks where pretty much always spent on the original Sega Rally machines. Must of spent 100's of pounds over my 5 years in school on those machines, it was at least IE£1 per day (of course my other money was spent playing Ocean Colour Scene, Ash and the Stereophonics on the jukebox :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pacman, in a pub in Ventry, Kerry, when the family used to holiday there. Oh, the memories of collecting glasses for the staff in the hopes of getting 10p off them for a game...

20-odd years later and I still want my own Pacman cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First game I played in the arcades was probably Contra. I used to always credit feed machines to try and get to the end. I did it on Simpsons arcade, Sunset Riders, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, etc. Got really into Time Crisis and Metal Slug at a point and 1 credited Ghouls n' Ghosts, Mercs (with help from the excellent MD conversions) and Carrier Airwing.

And of course street fighter 2 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wasn't young enough to credit feed a lot of the games mentioned above, but one game myself and my friends always used to rush down to the local bowling alley to play was that ****ty motion detector shooter Police 9-11. Great at the time though - ducking and diving like jackasses ftw.

Original Time Crisis and House of the Dead were also some of the prominent cabinets at the time - good times with fake guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

+1 to that Simpsons arcade game!

Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

magick wrote: »
    So what was your first game that you put your money into, and kept putting it into (putting it into yes yes i know ) until the game was finished or you had no money left.

Double Dragon........ f*ckers had it coming especially the machine gun boss at the end.

+1 Double Dragon. Me and the mate down the bowling alley. Operation Wolf was also a money guzzler, until we figured out that by jiggling the power cable on the back we could get free credits! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

All of the above remind me of summer holidays in Wexford, go into Courtown and spend all my change on video games and then a round of crazy golf. I remember there was a game based on the Aliens movies where you played as a Colonial Marine. It was one of those shooters where you held the gun (a pulse rifle that vibrated when you fired it) and it was the only game I ever came close to beating. Then I ran out of change. Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

First arcade game I stuck a 10p in to was either pac man or space invaders, I really can't remember. When I was in my teens I used to spend most Friday nights with my mate in the local snooker hall and they always had 7 or 8 games on the go that they'd always change every few months. Bubble Bobble, Badlands, NBA Jam, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, Mortal Kombat, Tumblepop and probably my favourite Arcade Game Puzzle Bobble. The list goes on and on.

The one game in that list that probably took must of our money was NBA Jam as you paid 30p/quarter or a £1 for a full match. We were top of the hight scores for the entire time that machine was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

My brother and I completed Cadillacs and Dinosaurs in the arcades years ago. I remember we getting a great audience as we went all the way. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Bubble bobble was my favourite game of all time. I played it to death in the arcade and was pretty much able to finish it on one life at one stage. Compared to some other games of the time it was actually possible to complete without adding more credits.
    Final fight on the other hand is one example of a game that I'm sure was designed so you couldn't complete it on one credit (losing energy for doing a special move).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Wasn't young enough to credit feed a lot of the games mentioned above, but one game myself and my friends always used to rush down to the local bowling alley to play was that ****ty motion detector shooter Police 9-11. Great at the time though - ducking and diving like jackasses ftw.

Ha yeah I remember that one. Good times! I was a big fan of the lightgun games, especially Silent Scope. I was always raging because I was just about too short to be able to play it easily.

First one I was hooked on was lunar lander, others were Green beret and outrun.

I'm still hooked, sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mexico 86 soccer game. Always won with Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Time Crisis 2 must have taken hundreds from me.

I'm almost certain we have the highest score in Ireland still - check us out in Strand Tramore.... :) new home of the former WIT machine.

So many wasted hours, I could do it blindfolded

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Silent Scope, but long before that probably Turtles in Time.

Regular gungames are fun but fcuk me if I'd ever blow so many quarters into them. Silent Scope though, I just... had to. Musta spent $10 in quarters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah yeah was a Silent Scoper too. Got it for the PS2 - despite the lack of scope making it much less fun, I was delighted to finally see the end of the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Good thread.

First arcade machine I put money in was a sit-in helicopter shmup (not the kind for 2-year olds) that would pivot (on at least one axis :D ) as you moved the stick. It was in one of 3 big arcades along the strand in Bray.

The first I put a more serious amount of money into was Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja but because I was only holidaying in the exotical 'arcade land' of Bray I didn't get to finish the game until playing it on the NES months/years later.

First game finished in arcade was probably that 4-player Simpsons Game... great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sunset Riders!

sunset+riders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inserting credits continously is why we're never as good as Japan. Sad truth.

But to answer the question: Any HotD game.
    Especially House of the Dead 3.
    SHOTGUN LURVE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the arcades died here because operators started charging far too much to play their games. 20p used to be an expensive game but then they started charging 50p and then 1 pound in the space of a year. For 1 pound you used to be able to get 10 credits. It just wasn't worth it anymore. You used to be able to go into an arcade and with 10 pounds get a decent hour or 2's entertainment. After it went up I spent most of the time walking around looking at other players and playing one game that I was good at and knew I would get value for money from. Then I just stopped going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the arcades died here because operators started charging far too much to play their games. 20p used to be an expensive game but then they started charging 50p and then 1 pound in the space of a year. For 1 pound you used to be able to get 10 credits. It just wasn't worth it anymore. You used to be able to go into an arcade and with 10 pounds get a decent hour or 2's entertainment. After it went up I spent most of the time walking around looking at other players and playing one game that I was good at and knew I would get value for money from. Then I just stopped going.

This is very true. The price was too high for 5 mins of fun on a game you hadn't played before. I pretty much stop playing arcade games when they hit the £1 mark. I'd only play the likes of tekken if there was a lad from school/college who wanted a go at a verus match.

There was a game i feed coins into. It was like a platform shooter. You played a chubby bald guy who shot balls from his belly. I remember it being on spectrum as well.

I also feed money into Street Fighter, Street fighter 2 and killer instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I utterly loved WWF Superstars and WWF Wrestlefest..
    Two of my favorite games of all time.

Still play them on the Raine Emu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

There was a game i feed coins into. It was like a platform shooter. You played a chubby bald guy who shot balls from his belly. I remember it being on spectrum as well.

Karnov?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Outrun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWiTXq4yYY

I mastered the game, I could complete in on 10p :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Fnz wrote: »
    Karnov?

I think thats the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Kernel wrote: »
    until we figured out that by jiggling the power cable on the back we could get free credits! :)

There was a few oddities like that, another was that on some cabinets if you flicked the power switch at the back, those that had them, really quick you'd basically reboot it and get free plays also, didn't always work but worth a try. Then a mate of mine had a coin at the end of a fishing line, not sure if he ever got that to work !

But Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon and Cabal got all my credits. We also knew the various Bubble Bobble cheats at the time too, up, down, left, right etc which gave you all the power ups right from the begining or the other one which I can't remember what it gave you. When I think about it that was quite impressive for the days before the internet, don't know how we found those out.

Cabal we finished in two player mode, that was a great game.

• Advertisement

It was all word of mouth back then, it was a very different community. There was some really awful rumours and lies though. I remember one about a secret fatality in MK2 were Jax ripped the ballox off the opponent and threw it at the screen. Loads of people claimed they saw it, yet nobody could do it, typical :)

Advertisement