Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insert coin again and again and again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

what's an arcade?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the arcades died here because operators started charging far too much to play their games. 20p used to be an expensive game but then they started charging 50p and then 1 pound in the space of a year. For 1 pound you used to be able to get 10 credits. It just wasn't worth it anymore. You used to be able to go into an arcade and with 10 pounds get a decent hour or 2's entertainment. After it went up I spent most of the time walking around looking at other players and playing one game that I was good at and knew I would get value for money from. Then I just stopped going.
    Actually, compared to Japan we're paying pretty much the same right now.
    100yen (old standard for 1 credit) = 75c
    120yen (new standard) = 90c

Maybe we just didn't have the mentality to learn to become better on 1 credit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There were enough people that became good on 1 credit, trust me but it just priced itself out of reach of it's market at the time when it went up. That and the fact that the gambling machines became bigger money makers. I think the only reason some of those places had arcade games until recently was that there was a legal requirement that a percentage of the floor space had to be taken up by games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But OTOH, how else would Quirkey's afford those 3 Tekken 6 cabs?
    From my internet sources, I gather that they would have cost at LEAST €20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Jip wrote: »
    There was a few oddities like that, another was that on some cabinets if you flicked the power switch at the back, those that had them, really quick you'd basically reboot it and get free plays also, didn't always work but worth a try. Then a mate of mine had a coin at the end of a fishing line, not sure if he ever got that to work !

But Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon and Cabal got all my credits. We also knew the various Bubble Bobble cheats at the time too, up, down, left, right etc which gave you all the power ups right from the begining or the other one which I can't remember what it gave you. When I think about it that was quite impressive for the days before the internet, don't know how we found those out.
    I still remember all those cheats. There were 3. power up, original game (for the secret rooms) and the last one to turn the game into super bubble bobble which was basically 100 revamped and harder levels. How's about that for re playability?

Most people got them from hear say passed on like secrets . But the clues for them were in game, hidden in glyphs in the secret rooms. Only one bloke in our local arcade knew the super bubble bobble moves as he got them from someone on holidays. He wasn't too happy when I figured it out myself from the glyphs and told everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't think that would be a 1 credit game for many.

Btw, is that Hiro from Heroes? If it is, he's probably cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

John wrote: »
    All of the above remind me of summer holidays in Wexford, go into Courtown and spend all my change on video games and then a round of crazy golf. I remember there was a game based on the Aliens movies where you played as a Colonial Marine. It was one of those shooters where you held the gun (a pulse rifle that vibrated when you fired it) and it was the only game I ever came close to beating. Then I ran out of change. Damn.

That game's still there btw. I beat it once, I headed down on my birthday with a fistful of 20ps. Only ended up costing me like a quid. Could clear it on a credit by the time I got bored of that place in general. Cha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I used to love getting a free game after someone leaving a credit in the machine!

I think I spent a life playing point blank, ridiculous stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

creggy wrote: »
    I used to love getting a free game after someone leaving a credit in the machine!

I think I spent a life playing point blank, ridiculous stuff.

I loved that game. I really hated getting to the last challenge and hitting 19 of the 20 targets going back to the one you missed and clicking dry :( you had about 5 seconds to hit 20 targets with 20 bullets, bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Most people got them from hear say passed on like secrets . But the clues for them were in game, hidden in glyphs in the secret rooms. Only one bloke in our local arcade knew the super bubble bobble moves as he got them from someone on holidays. He wasn't too happy when I figured it out myself from the glyphs and told everyone :)

I'm not quite sure about that. I found this link which explains/deciphers the meaning of the glyphs in the various secret rooms: Bubble Bobble Glyphs

• Advertisement
Advertisement