Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transposing

Options
  • 05-04-2009 10:55am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have sheet music for a tune in C - I'm told the original was recorded in C#.
    It's 'Arrival' by Abba, which I am attempting to play on the concertina.
    I would like to be able to practice playing along with a recording of the original.

Is changing the key very difficult to do? In a haze of 30 years ago Inter. Cert. music memories, I'm thinking I just have to be consistent.

If someone could start me off, I think I can manage the rest.

Here are the first few notes (in C):

c,d,e,c,d,e,c,d,e,f,e,d,c,d,c,b,a,g,a,b,c

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

spurious wrote: »
    I have sheet music for a tune in C - I'm told the original was recorded in C#.
    It's 'Arrival' by Abba, which I am attempting to play on the concertina.
    I would like to be able to practice playing along with a recording of the original.

Is changing the key very difficult to do? In a haze of 30 years ago Inter. Cert. music memories, I'm thinking I just have to be consistent.

If someone could start me off, I think I can manage the rest.

Here are the first few notes (in C):

c,d,e,c,d,e,c,d,e,f,e,d,c,d,c,b,a,g,a,b,c

Thanks for any help.

Just raise each note by a semitone, add a # to every note except b and e, which you just raise to c and f respectively.

So the bit you posted would be
    c#, d#, f, c#, d#, f, c#, d#, f, f#, f, d#, c#, d#, c#, c, a#, g#, a#, c, c#

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks a million for the quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

I dunno how the concertina is for fingering notes like C#, but if ya want to play it in C (which i assume is far easier) you can get an audio program (try http://www.goldwave.com), open up your original abba song and turn it down a semitone. Theres even options to keep the same tempo and stuff, so i reckon that might be the best way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That might be an idea - the concertina is a beggar for all those 'odd' notes.
    I'll give it a go.

Advertisement