Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters

Options
  • 05-04-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if a bit early for this but looking forward to the first Major of the year, especially as we will mostly be doing feck all on Friday night anyway. Will have a few smallish bets for an interest and hopefully one will win. I am a strict cash better so have just used best prices from high street bookies with Irish branches and included actual best price for you internet punters.

Tiger Woods @ 9/5 with Boyles - Probably doesn't need an explanation. Tiger looked good when coming from five off the pace last Sunday and there was something about the look in his eye and his celebration that said he has come back stronger than ever. Hasn't won a Masters in a few years but think he can change all that this year. Obviously not worth a small bet or even an each way but could look like a big price if he is in the final pairing on Sunday evening. Available at 3.35 on Betfair and Betdaq

Pádraig Harrington @ 16/1 with Boyles, Ladbrokes and William Hill - Was looking good last Sunday before a couple of bogeys although form has never seemed to be an issue with Harrington when it comes to Majors. Doesn't have a bad record at Augusta over last couple of years. Probably only backing this because I have backed him in every Major for the last five or six years bar the three he actually won and would be kicking myself if I missed out again. Available at 18/1 witrh Betfred, Blue Square and 888Sport (whoever they are).

Geoff Ogilvy @ 20/1 with Ladbrokes - Ogilvy is a player I've always liked. Has a Major under his belt and is in great form this season. Probably playing the best golf of his life at the moment and should finish in top ten. Available at 22/1 with Coral

Rory McIlroy @ 33/1 with Boyles and Ladbrokes - First timers don't have a good record at the Masters but Rory really seems to think he has a good chance here. At such a young age, his self belief is encouraging me. He doesn't seem to have any nerves about playing the world's most famous course with the top boys. Has been over there over last couple of weeks getting some practice in with Phil Mickelson. Think it's a course that will suit him too. Stranger things have happened. A future Major winner in my eyes so why not start now. I don't believe he is all hype. 33/1 is top price. Was hoping for 50s so might not do this one.

Four players there, at least three of whom I think will be in top 20 so hopefully one can do the business. Probabl;y Tiger but there's no fun or sense of achievement picking him to win :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

Camilo Villegas 40/1 in places... one of the best young golfers on the tour, gonna be a big year for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

As totally predictable and boring as it sounds but i am simply gonna take that 9-5 about Woods with Boyles - nothing major as generally the only time i back in golf is during the Majors and Woods, with being out for the latter end of last year will be all out to win the first major of the year. Plus, what i find so frustrating in watching golf is no matter what channel you watch it on it is practically Woods-watch so hey at least i am guaranteed to be able to see where my money is going - golf coverage has to be one of the most biased coverage of all sports. I remember backing Di Marco the year he came second to Woods and even though he led for the most of the Masters the TV coverage barely showed him taking a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Woods is only back from a long spell out and despite having already won a tournament I think laying him against the field is the bet of the week.

9/5 is a shocking price imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Warper wrote: »
    As totally predictable and boring as it sounds but i am simply gonna take that 9-5 about Woods with Boyles - nothing major as generally the only time i back in golf is during the Majors and Woods, with being out for the latter end of last year will be all out to win the first major of the year. Plus, what i find so frustrating in watching golf is no matter what channel you watch it on it is practically Woods-watch so hey at least i am guaranteed to be able to see where my money is going - golf coverage has to be one of the most biased coverage of all sports. I remember backing Di Marco the year he came second to Woods and even though he led for the most of the Masters the TV coverage barely showed him taking a shot.

+1 to that,nothing more annoying than backing a European in the States. I usually follow US golf on Setanta and it's a direct feed from CBS (i think) so you don't get a look in even if your selected European is leading. At least the Masters is on BBC this year. Have only ever watched the Open on BBC so hopefully they have their own feed and aren't relying on a biased Yank one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Woods is only back from a long spell out and despite having already won a tournament I think laying him against the field is the bet of the week.

9/5 is a shocking price imo

Point taken on board but I honestly believe that the break has actually done him a bit of good. Have also been looking ahead to the Open where he is 3/1 and have always believed that anything bigger than 5/2 about the greatest golfer that has ever lived is value. Have taken the 3/1 about him winning at the Open so feel I am in a win/win situation re the Masters ie if he wins at Ausgusta he will probably be cut to around 6/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

do you know if theres anywhere you can get a price on Tiger for the other 2 majors..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

This year I'm going to do the following bets with PP (6 places)

Padraig Harrington @ 16/1 5 e/w
    Trever Immelman @ 80/1 2.50 e/w
    Tiger Woods @ 15/8 5 to win
    Steward Cink @ 66/1 2.50 e/w

I'm not going to bet on McElroy this yr as I think it's too early for him. Augusta is a tough course and looking at Harrington and where he's at the mo it could take years before McElroy could challenge (I could be totally wrong TBH)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

What about Sergio?
    Know he's not on great form at the moment but is he in with a chance?
    35/1 seems a good price for an e/w on him.

:D Skybet giving 50000/1 on Gary Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Thinking of the following 3 at the moment to give me a run for my money;

Watney 54/1
    Johnson 49/1
    Leonard 149/1:D

All with betfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

fonda wrote: »
    What about Sergio?
    Know he's not on great form at the moment but is he in with a chance?
    35/1 seems a good price for an e/w on him.
    best finish is 13th as far as i know
    putting like stevie wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ill have a small e/w on vijay singh at 66's

and another e/w on casey at 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

McIlroy not worth an each way bet lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Dave! wrote: »

Lay him to make the cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dave! wrote: »

top 10 finish on betfair @ 4.4 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

The only bet i've made so far was McIllroy to miss the cut at 5/2. Sure i'd be delighted if he does well but Augusta is a much different tournament than the others and has claimed many scalps over the years. I think Rory is a cracking player but this is a cracking bet imo.

I'm also deliberating whether to back Harrington to do the same at 5/1 or back him to win it at 16s. Is there any value to do both i wonder?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't take the 15/8 on woods now. Invariably he gets off to a mediocre start and only just stays in contention. After Day 2 or 3 i've often gooten 4/1 on the exchanges when he is 5 or 6 shots off and imo, this is much better value. Of course he could lead through the whole tournament but i still think 15/8 is bad value.

I think Michelson could win it this year. He's playing well at the moment and his presision game suits augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

K.J. Choi 80/1
    Andres Romero 80/1

I'm backing both of these each-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Angelicus_22

O Wilson at 14/1 top debutant great shot, considering Agusta was his course in college in the states, he has more experience playing there than a lot of the shorter favs...

Double Lee Westwood and Luke Donald at 4/6 each for their 3 balls, short odds but they have a pretty good chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Augusta has some horrific greens, Paul Casey is one of the best putters in the game. Might have an e/w shot at him. In a bit of form too.

Wouldn't be suprised if a Japanese player is in the top 3 on the final day. Again they are excellent putters.

Drive for the show, putt for the dough.

O Wilson at 14/1 top debutant great shot, considering Agusta was his course in college in the states, he has more experience playing there than a lot of the shorter favs...

Double Lee Westwood and Luke Donald at 4/6 each for their 3 balls, short odds but they have a pretty good chance of winning.

Wilson is 125/1

EDIT: Sorry thought you meant outright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Collie D wrote: »
    +1 to that,nothing more annoying than backing a European in the States. I usually follow US golf on Setanta and it's a direct feed from CBS (i think) so you don't get a look in even if your selected European is leading. At least the Masters is on BBC this year. Have only ever watched the Open on BBC so hopefully they have their own feed and aren't relying on a biased Yank one.

The Masters is ALWAYS on the BBC - Gary Linekar (bleugh), Ken Brown, Peter Allis, Sam Torrance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

How many places are Laddys pay out on ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 banana66

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Augusta has some horrific greens, Paul Casey is one of the best putters in the game. Might have an e/w shot at him. In a bit of form too.

Wouldn't be suprised if a Japanese player is in the top 3 on the final day. Again they are excellent putters.

Drive for the show, putt for the dough.

Where are you getting your information on paul Casey being one of the best putters ??? He is certainly a streaky putter but definetely acknowledged as one of the great putters on tour. Our own Harrington is acknowledged as one of the best putters around. I think Anthony Kim to be placed at 9/1 is a cracking bet given that he can finish in the top six.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    I think it's 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

I think Mickelson will win it. He's been in great form this year and knows how to win at Augusta.

8/1 is a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

mike65 wrote: »
    The Masters is ALWAYS on the BBC - Gary Linekar (bleugh), Ken Brown, Peter Allis, Sam Torrance etc

It's a live feed from an American channel though as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They do have a camera team (Ken Brown will demonstrate how fiendish the greens are, etc) and I think they have a choice of the various feeds so they don't have to follow the American golfer (whoever it is). This year the Red Botton is fixed on Amen Corner action and 15/16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Probably 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Woods looks like he will win this easily - he should have finished -5 or -6 yesterday as he missed some pretty straight forward putts for him - his price now is still just under 2-1 and this looks good - look he is by far the most talented golfer out there and always gets stronger as the weekend progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dundalkbhoy

Warper wrote: »
    Woods looks like he will win this easily - he should have finished -5 or -6 yesterday as he missed some pretty straight forward putts for him - his price now is still just under 2-1 and this looks good - look he is by far the most talented golfer out there and always gets stronger as the weekend progresses.

im a sucker for stats and the last 3 times he has shot 70 in opening round he has gone on to win the tournament. the scoring has been pretty high with easier pin positions and tee boxes moved forward.

Advertisement