Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing pond - what about frogs?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm removing a mature established pond from my garden, as my little boy can't safely play in the garden now. There is a variety of water plants including water liliies and bog lilies, which if I don't have any takers for on adverts.ie will have to go into the brown bin, but unfortunatley there is also a large family of frogs, tadpoles and frogspawn that need a need a new home.
    Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with these? I'm a huge fan of frogs so would really like to transfer them somewhere suitable.
    I thinned the frog population out last summer by having a relative take a large amount of tadpoles for their garden pond in Leitrim, but they never established, and there is no evidence of them so far this year.
    I'm in the Dublin 13 area, so please, if anyone can recommend a suitable destination I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

there was something on Derek Mooney's afternoon show about this recently - apparently frogs are protected so you need to be really careful

can you wait until all the tadpoles have matured - it might make it easier to manage?

what about approaching a local large garden centre that has a pond? Or what about the botanic gardens or the zoo, maybe give them a shout?

the other thing to think about, is there is a metal grid you can get that will prevnet your little fella from getting into the water - I have seen it on the bbc gardening programme - maybe inquire in garden centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Ellechim wrote: »
    the other thing to think about, is there is a metal grid you can get that will prevnet your little fella from getting into the water - I have seen it on the bbc gardening programme - maybe inquire in garden centres?
    Do consider this option, it's kinder to the environment and the frogs and all your pond plants can grow safely through the grid while preventing any accidents to your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Rancid wrote: »
    Do consider this option, it's kinder to the environment and the frogs and all your pond plants can grow safely through the grid while preventing any accidents to your kids.

Your son will very quickly grow out of the age where having a pond is a danger, but if you remove the pond the wildlife damage will be permanent.

Think what a great learning resource the pond will be for him when he gets a bit older.

Advertisement