Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firearm training courses

Options
  • 05-04-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

just wondering is there any training courses in this country for firearms , i have heard that there is but that they are not recognised by the gardai , but just for myself id be interested ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

davy_b wrote: »
    just wondering is there any training courses in this country for firearms , i have heard that there is but that they are not recognised by the gardai , but just for myself id be interested ??

the nargc do a day course ,i think the cops recognise it .

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't think any of them are officially recognised by the Gardai, but I'd imagine there are at least some Supers out there who like to see that people have done a course.

Recognised or not, a good course run by a competent instructor can't be a bad thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The ICPSA coaches do a shotgun course with the emphasis on clay shooting. It's certainly recognised by the supers around our neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

its high time there should be a firearms training course that co insides with the training licence .
    it might help filter out the muppets .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

jwshooter wrote: »
    its high time there should be a firearms training course that co insides with the training licence .
    it might help filter out the muppets .

totally agree , there should be officially recognised courses available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

We did discuss the topic of accreditation before - there are ways to do it, but all require the Gardai to define standards they will accept. I can't see foreign standards like the NRA courses being accepted for that, but if we did homegrown courses through groups like Coaching Ireland and had them FETAC-recognised, that might pass muster.

Advertisement