Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive goes crazy and tears apart Windows Vista OEM DVD

Options
  • 05-04-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Okay I have been having problems with my rig recently so I took it apart and placed the system on anti static bags using only the basics along with the HDD and DVD drive..
    So I choose Boot from CD/DVD after the Gigabyte splashcreen and then!!!
    It goes **** crazy! the DVD drive started to roar and jump!! I hadn't got a clue what to do so I switched off the power and using a pin, i was able to take the DVD out...

The Windows OEM DVD is covered in an abudance of deep scars and i'm guessing the DVD drive is wrote off :(
    And I still have a bust rig after that :(:(

Any ideas what to do for a new Windows OEM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If your DVD drive is still under warranty, I'd report it and demand replacement of the OS.
    On the other hand, it's Vista so you're better off without it.

What was the logic behind taking the parts out of the case? Unless it was overheating, you're not going to benefit from having your parts strewn all over a desk, anti static bags or not. The bags are for storage, not for using as a testbed. Engineers have special stations for doing that sort of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

It was a reccomendation to test each part one by one? I was hardly going to buy a testbench just for that. Its a common procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Should I try installing Windows 7 x64 Beta instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

toco123 wrote: »
    Should I try installing Windows 7 x64 Beta instead?

Worked good for a while at mine but there certain programs that didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

toco123 wrote: »
    It was a reccomendation to test each part one by one? I was hardly going to buy a testbench just for that. Its a common procedure?

You shouldn't need to take the motherboard out of the case to do that.
    Leaving parts sitting on top of anti static bags while you're fiddling about is one thing. Actually leaving an operating, live system sitting on anti static bags is something else entirely. The bag keeps static OUT - that means static (and electricity) flows over the OUTSIDE of the bag. Assuming the bag hasn't melted due to heat from the backplates, you're asking for a short somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement