Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a little help: reheating stuff

• 05-04-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I used, until sometime last year, have a fixed lunch hour which I used to come home and make lunch as it was better than anything I could plan to bring with me or get at the work canteen.

This arrangement has changed and I now can shorten lunch hour and get out of work earlier type thing. I want to do this as I do a lot of stuff in the summer evenings which would benefit me getting out of work 30 minutes earlier than I used to. We'll skip the bad part of canteen food and skip onto the question.

I do have access to a microwave.

I used to eat a lot of couscous type dishes for lunch when I went home for lunch, and the occasional scrambled egg. But they were always freshly cooked at the time. I have never microwaved scrambled eggs although I know it's possible.

One of the couscous dishes I used to do was tiger prawns with couscous (usually with a little bit of chili flavouring). I ate that hot. While I'm sure I could eat it cold, I am wondering if it's okay to microwave a dish that has couscous and prawns on it. I'm somewhat iffy about nuking shell fish but don't know if that's because it's not a good idea to do it or if it's some irrational fear I have.

So, two questions:

1) how to make scrambled eggs using a microwave without making an unholy mess, and
    2) can I microwave cooked prawns without poisoning myself?

Other suggestions for bring your own lunch would be good as well but I have salads and stuff sewn up and that's just a question of being organised enough in the morning to get them together.

I should add that although I am not allergic to it, I very, very rarely eat bread of any description.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

i wouldnt do the prawns and cous cous together as the cous cous will be over cooked and the prawns probaly wont heat up in time. as for the egg cook for 1 minute take out and stir,back in for 30 seconds and take out again stir keep doing untill you have them the way u like it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I heat up pasta with prawns in it in my work microwave all the time. I am not aware of any problems in reheating cooked shellfish, but I'm open to being corrected.

I also make stews, soups and casseroles for dinner but make more than I need and have the remainder for lunches. They heat up very well in the microwave.

I would think that your cous cous would heat up alright, just stir it occasionally to make sure all of it is heating equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

there is no problem re heating shellfishonce its heated through, its just the size of the prawns to the size of the cous cous grains.

Advertisement