Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get another 1 or 2 hard-drives into this Dell Server?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell PowerEdge SC440 server (thanks to the famous bargain alert on here a year or so ago :)) and use it as a Windows Home Server.

I have 3 HDDs in it and want to add at least one more terabyte HDD, though I think I'll just whack two into it now and be well future-proofed while I'm at it.

I'm not quite sure how to get these HDDs to fit into the case as there is no slot available at the moment. There is a 5.25" bay free under the DVD drive but I'm not sure what I'd need to get a 3.5" HDD into it.

There's also a bit of space to the right of the 2 HDDs at the base of the machine but again it's unclear how I would mount the drives there.

The mobo does have an eSata port - would it be advisable to go for an external drive in this case for storing media on (mostly Windows Media Center recorded tv that will be accessed over the network)? Would this be much better than going for a USB2.0 drive (is the advantage that eSata doesn't need separate power source)?

Thanks for any advice - just not sure on what would be regarded as the best approach here. I've attached a couple of photos showing the current HDDs and available space.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You could use brackets or a single-slot fanbay to fit one more HDD into the free 5.25" bay... not 100% sure about anything else though (those links are for example, there might be cheaper out there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

You could take out the DVD drive already there (looking at the first pic) giving you two 5.25 slots and follow Solitaires advice on using brackets.

Any reinstall of WHS can be done from a USB flash drive following this walkthrough or an external DVD drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for the advice lads. I had a look and the mobo only has space for one more SATA device so I think I'll just go with one 1.5TB drive - this Seagate Barracuda looks like it will do the job.

I found some 3.25" to 5.25" brackets in my spare parts box but reckon I'll go with the fanbay anyway just to give it the extra bit of cooling.

Just bear in mind that 40mm fans can be noisy (being designed for light-server-use and all), so it depends on whether the server is fairly well hidden or in a noise-insensitive environment. And the one shown only has two of the three fans installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for pointing that out Solitaire. The server is in a rarely used office so sound isn't a problem at the moment, though it's right beside the dining room so I wouldn't want it getting too noisy. Is there any way to lower the speed on those fans to reduce the noise?

Will probably get it anyway and worst case being that if it's too noisy, I'll just disconnect the fans and at least it'll have some form of vent on it.

• Advertisement

Meh, had a look and it looks like the fans lead into a standard Molex connector. So no PWM line :( And while it gives a noise rating of 36dB it doesnt give a measuring distance. Reminds me of the old EvoStream PSUs... 55dB can mean very different things depending on whether it was measured two inches from the fans, or two football stadiums away :rolleyes:

Advertisement