Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to quit drinking

Options
  • 05-04-2009 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Ok basically I have a drink problem and I need to quit basically I binge drink every weekend friday and saturday and on occasion on sunday and the odd week night. And the saddest thing about this is alot of my drinking is done on my own either at home or watching a match in a pub. I am fat out of shape and very depressed about the path im leading I need to stop so what are my options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

Have you considered going to AA? Im not saying you are an alcoholic but if you go to a few meetings it might help you to put things in perspective.my drinking habits sound similar to yours and after finally going to AA I've not had a drink in about a year and feel a hell of a lot better for it.It's not for everyone but it's worked for me up to today.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Ok basically I have a drink problem and I need to quit basically I binge drink every weekend friday and saturday and on occasion on sunday and the odd week night. And the saddest thing about this is alot of my drinking is done on my own either at home or watching a match in a pub. I am fat out of shape and very depressed about the path im leading I need to stop so what are my options?

Try picking up a copy of Allen Carrs "The easy way to control alcohol". He wrote a book called the easy way to stop smoking a number years ago and my whole family (me included) and a bunch of friends quit reading the one copy of the book - falling off a log easily.

I gave a copy of the alcohol version book to a friend of mine who had a weekend wine-at-home problem for 20 years and he quit just like that - so perhaps it'll be of some help to you. I glanced through it and he seems to use the same principle with drink as he did with the smokes..

If you do get it then pay attention to any instructions he gives you. They are easy to follow but they do need following.

God Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Try meditation:
    www.dhamma.org
    http://www.ie.dhamma.org/

It seems to work better than most other things if you can put in the time/effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You need some sort of activity.
    You sometimes drink on your own at home but if you quit and go home to stare at 4 walls you'll probably start again, sure why wouldn't you?

Loads of activities you could do so I'm not going to list them.
    I attend League of Ireland games though watching Shelbourne would drive you to drink :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Activities and hobbies are definitely a good place to start.

Joining a gym and getting into a sport could be good idea as they help you re-focus your attention on something else. Exercise is kind of addictive in its own way so the more you do, the more time you'll want to spend exercising. Once you reach a certain level of fitness also, you'll probably start to get more careful about what you eat and drink. Its a gradual process though.

I do think I was ever an alcoholic but I did feel I was drinking more than I wanted too, and did use exercise as way having an alternative pastime.

Running and Cycling are good excercise to begin with as they require minimal equipment, or the need to organise a team. Once you get involved in something like that its incredible how it can become part of your life. If you read the sports sections of boards.ie you can see how absorbed people are in their chosen area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I'm not really into running or sports much, but I find rollerblading a lot of fun, and also walking is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i had a drink problem, a few years ago, burned the stomach out of meself drinking every night, i used to think i was missing something by not being in the pub having a pint, got to the stage where i couldnt swallow food, and then i copped on, i just gave up no meetings ,books or nothing, i did the same with the smokes, no patches, and ive never been healthier, the way i looked at it was i went to london to work ,and when i seen how many irish were over there with nothing in bad health ,and dying because of drink, i said to myself no matter how nice the barmaids rear end is ,my health is more important, i also nearly lost my business to drink aswell,
    the main thing to do is keep yourself busy and keep your mind off thinking about what you think your missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmmm I was thinking of moving this to Personal Issues (as this is not necessarily the intention of the NDG forum), but as there is apparently a few alcoholics who post in this forum, maybe it'd be best to leave it here and benefit from their experiences.

If you'd like it moved to PI, where it will get a broader and greater response, then let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

I cut down drinking from 7 nights to 1 night a week, not long ago. I'm noticing that life is easier without the drink every night. I'm actually interested in things other than drink. Try first to avoid buying drink, cuz if it's not at home you really have to go out of your way to buy some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

From these few lines, it is difficult to understand how serious and out of rational control your drinking habit is.
    I think that what you are saying is quite positive already, at least you don't like what you are doing... you don't even drink with your friends. Start a new style, drink for the pleasure, to taste some good stuff, not just to get drunk. Get out, see some people, find alternatives, go to gym, for a nice swim.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I stopped drinking 5 months ago after reading the Allen Carr book, I'd definitely recommend it.

Also on the overweight thing - I'd seriously recommend getting a dog. Taking them for walks several times a week really helps to bring the weight down gradually.

Advertisement