Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog walk

Options
  • 05-04-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a group walk. With the good weather coming in and the evenings getting longer, it might be nice.

Then I got to thinking, why not do it and collect a few euro from everyone there to donate to one of our members animal charity? Like EGAR or DID (as far as I know there are a few DID members who post here. I also think one of the people who do work for Friends Of Ben (where my boy came from) is here too. I'm not talking anything big just a few euro from each walker, it wont be a huge amount for the charity, but I'm sure every little helps. Depending on how it goes, we could do it regularly, giving the money to a different member charity each time?

Now obviously it will need more thought and planning, but before I get into details (like area etc) I wanted to check if the small amount of money collected would do any good, and if people are at all interested.

If people are, can you please put your charity forward (preferably one with a poster who uses the forum)and I will put a poll together to decide the first charity and of course the location.

Would you go on a dog walk in aid of a members charity? 29 votes

Yes definately (depending on area)
    0% 0 votes
    No - not my thing
    89% 26 votes
    It depends on how much the expected donation is.
    10% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I would deffinitely be interested in going along. I have a gorgeous DID foster at the moment so I really can't speak highly enough about them. They really do great work and really need the money! The dogs don't neuter/spay themselves!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I think its a great idea any money no matter how little im sure could make a difference, you could also get people to donate old beds,collars etc and bring them on the day to be collected, as most charitys would be delighted with anything we can give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

A very good idea. I would not mind sparing a few euro for the cause (both of my dogs are resuces, one of them just looooves other dogs and would do nothing but play with every dog we meet), so even if the walk is not local to me ( live in Wicklow) i would still donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

woofie87 wrote: »
    so even if the walk is not local to me ( live in Wicklow) i would still donate.
    Hopefully, we can pick somewhere central for everyone. There are some wonderful walking areas in wicklow for the dogs I would imagine? I wouldn't mind driving about an hour for it, we often do for a good walking area, I'm sure that most places would be within an hour for a lot of people. I'm in kildare, many posters are in Dublin, others in the west and midlands. Of course, if transport is a problem for people, post here, you may have someone close by willing to help you if they're coming anyway. Although so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of people interested.

Not really sure where to go from here so any suggestions welcome.

Polls? How much is the suggested donation, what boards member will it be donated to, what area etc.

Another suggestion might be a dog "coffee morning" in someones large garden? (my own is not very big and is in a housing estate)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'd love to but my doggie doesn't play well with others :(
    He's grand with the bitches but he doesn't like dogs at all.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there will be a few dogs similar there, perhaps if you kept him on a lead and just walked with him?

My worry is that Harley is a large pup, used to playing with another large pup, so he does tend to be very "in your face" and full on when playing. I'm sure he would test the patience of even the most docile dog. (don't worry, I'll keep an eye on him though, wont let him go too far). Also his recall is not great so wil probably have to keep him on a lead when out anyway. We do let him off when we're alone but with other dogs he'd be a nightmare to get back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

hi, don't know if i'm allowed do this but if you want to drum up more doggie walkers check out www.irishdogs.ie/forum some of the members on there arrange walks from time to time and i'm sure they would love this idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

That sounds like a great idea! i'm in the kildare area too, the charity idea is a great one too, they need funds now more than ever.

I'm not sure there are enough people interested for it to be worth our while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

start a poll. Its good for getting an idea of numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I'd be interested in the walk. I wouldn't mind travelling either. I have a lovely bitch who loves walks so we'd be very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cosantoir

I'd love to take the dog along:D

OK poll started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I have 3 hooligans who are always game for meeting new friends - 2 mental terriers and one slightly loopy rottie - would depend on the area as one of the terriers feels the need to be vocal in the car :D she gets herself so worked up

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cosantoir

Any movement on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

If it wasn't far from me, I'd love to do it. My Bonnie is a DID dog too. (failed fosterer) She doesn't like travelling at all & won't do noisy roads, that's the only problem. She can be a bit tempermental with dogs on a one to one, given her issues but in a large group she's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Perhaps we could get one of the doggie charities in on it......as in if any of us who have pets but not dogs and wanted to join in we could arrange with one of the charities to some of their dogs? i think sometimes these places are crying out for volunteers to help exercise their dogs.

It sounds like great fun! For some reason i could only see the poll results but note vote (i'm hungover so may be a bit stoopid!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

giddybootz wrote: »
    It sounds like great fun! For some reason i could only see the poll results but note vote (i'm hungover so may be a bit stoopid!!)

I'm interested....but I can't vote either??????

Hey, sorry, I haven't been able to post here in a while.

It seems people are interested, the poll closed 3 days after I opened it, I just wanted to get an idea so don't worry if you didn't vote.

If people are still interested, could we get some suggestions on where to go? If we're given a few ideas, I'll do another poll and we can vote on it.

I wont make a suggestion as I'm pretty flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I'd be interested in this.
    I live in Dublin 15 though but I could drive to any location within reason.
    My dog is a cavalier and I got her from a rescue.
    She would love a day out like this as she's very social!

• Advertisement

Great, i reckon all we have to do now is choose a time and a place.

Are we doing this for charity then, or just a social meet up? Either is fine by me, but I do think that if there are a few of us getting together, it would be nice to donate a small amount, or any usable dog/cat items to a boards charity member?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I don't mind making a donation. Either way suits me.
    Any ideas on when and where yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have reopened the poll for you. :)

I'm not sure where, people interested seem to be from all over the place. Wicklow/Kildare/Dublin might suit most people. I don't really walk Harley anywhere suitable for a bigger number of dogs except donadea forest. Which is nice, but I'm sure other people might have somewhere better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

id be up for this with my fellah.

Would one of the mods mind moving this to the welfare part of the forum please.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Love the idea! We (two westies and myself based in celbridge/kildare) will definitely go with you! Looking forward!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

The Castletown House area would be nice for the walk as well. No parking/entrance fees
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BN9987/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]attachment.php?attachmentid=82133&d=1244544463

Ok so castletown house is the first suggestion. I've never been myself but am happy to give it a shot. :) - Are they dog friendly? Is there a structured walk or is it a "wandering" type place?

Other people happy with this, or can offer other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I'd be up for this but my pup prob won't be big enough to walk if it's soon but I can carry him for the majority of it :D

Advertisement