Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bresser Binoculars, 10 x 50 in Lidl

Options
  • 05-04-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090409.p.BresserBinoculars10x50

What do people think of these please? Is 10 X 50 too small for astronomy or should I wait for something bigger, I already have a scope but I want a good pair of binoculars aswell to complement it and I was waiting to see what Lidl or Aldi offered, are these a good deal or did they offer better ones before? (Meade bino's I think?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I bought the same ones the last time they were selling them. I find them great and use them along with my scope. For the price they can't be faulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Thargor

Even though i have a pair of binoculars already ,
    I still went and bought the Bresser Binoculars, 10 x 50 in Lidl .
    To be honest Mark , i think it was my son who gave me the
    ( Regent Gold Star ) 10 x 50 Field 5 degrees Binos a few years ago .
    Heaven knows where he got them , as i seem to remember saying they look
    " old " to him lol ...... he meantioned car boot sale ;-)
    You can see them here
    http://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/40/4c/2376_1.JPG

I`ve used them hundreds of times and always thought they were great !
    There is not a lot of info on these binoculars on the net that i can find .
    The moon is just up and i checked both the Bresser Binoculars and the Regent and have to say i cant see much difference , looked at a couple of landscapes , landmarks maybe 5 , 10 miles away and again ,nothing popped out and said WOW these are better etc

So Thargor , so i can only say in my own opinion on the SHORT tests ive done so far i think these 2 models work almost the same for me , wether the Regents are a BRILLIANT pair and the Bresser are their equal , who knows , i aint an expert Thargor , but i can only comment on what i saw when i used both and i was well pleased ...and lets be honest , @ 18 euros the Bresser Binoculars are GREAT value
    for money !!!

Oh Thargor , my 6 year old son was with me and i had to buy him the 10 x 25 `s lol , you cost me a fortune today ;-) haha

Hope this helps

Martin
    Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

know when these might be coming around again?

Could be the same time next year for Lidl. You do tend to see an Astronomy related special offer Thursday or Sunday around now - start of Autumn every year though so there might be a set of binos in with the scopes, just got to keep an eye out.

They're such a great pair of binos though, cant believe the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 NickFromTipp

EUR18 for them binoculars is great value. Well worth a go I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Still love mine, crystal clear optics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dubred wrote: »
    Thargor wrote: »
    Still love mine, crystal clear optics.

Thanks very much, got the wife to pick me up a pair of these this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Got a pair in Bray this morning, there was about 15 on display. Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I got a pair of these. They're good, but has anybody else noticed that the large caps are very loose? They won't even stay on when I hold the binoculars upside down.

In the end, I put a layer of electrical tape inside the caps, and it makes them tighter.

Saw that aswell but every pair of binoculars Ive seen has had that problem apart from my fathers waterproof marine ones which have nice springloaded hoods you can flick up and down.

I drilled a little hole in the edge of both caps with the awl on a swiss army knife then passed a small loop of paracord through it, this made them a bit tighter by wedging the cord to the rim of the binocular so they stay on and also let me attach them to the strap so I can just let them drop when I take them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

What can you make out with cheap 10 x 50 binos?

The rings of saturn?
    Jupiters moons?

What would you at least need to see those, and maybe the Orion nebula.

I'd love to be able to see the above 3 things and more, but I really really cant even afford to spend more than say 60-70 euro on something, and even thats a bit expensive. :(

Orion nebula is easily visible to the naked eye so a definite yes to that one, Rings of saturn - yes, you wont be seeing anything like this:

400px-PIA17172_Saturn_eclipse_mosaic_bright_crop.jpg

But you will be able to tell its a planet with rings, Galileo discovered them with a tiny bit of dirty glass. You'll see a bright dot with 2 bumps either side, on a very clear night you might get a bit more detail.

Jupiters moons is the same story, a bright dot with 2 or 3 smaller dots around it representing the moons, maybe a hint of colour in perfect conditions.

All the above will apply to telescopes up to 130 mm aperture aswell (these binoculars are 50mm aperture) just slightly better detail. If you want more you're going to have to spend a lot more than €20 on a big scope and do a bit of astrophotography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I've only tried them the once so far (hate those clouds!), and all I could see were the stars flying around the field of vision. A tripod would be great, although I hear of people successfully using brush-handles, or even clever poses where the arms are properly supported.

I have big velux windows on a sloped roof in my bedroom up in the attic and they face out towards Wicklow national park so I can do some very good viewing with just the lights turned off in the room and the binoculars braced against the window frame, you can do the same thing with a wall etc, as long as they're touching something it stabilizes hem a lot.

Advertisement