Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just found a coin, is it rare?

• 05-04-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

I was in the front garden and after a lot of digging I found a coin. It was unclear so I put it in Coca Cola for a while. When it cleaned up I noticed the date on it was 1916 which I thought was very symbolic. It is a ONE PENNY. Would it be worth anything?
    Sorry Mods if this should be somewhere else but I didn't know where else to post it:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I am only a casual collector of coins but suspect that your penny is unlikely to be worth anything especially as it is a British and many millions of them would probably have been struck for the year 1916. There are two coin dealers that I know of in Dublin that you could check with and both of them are in The Market Arcade off Sth.Great Georges Street:

Lir Coins & Collectables
    Market Arcade, South Great Georges Street, Dublin.2.
    Tel: (087) 682 6045

and

Bygone Days,
    Market Arcade, South Great Georges Street, Dublin.2.
    Tel: (086) 321 0740

You are probably better off gently cleaning it and keeping it as a souvenir

for yourself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Sorry for hijacking the thread but seeing it reminded me that i have a farthing dating 1941 and a 3p piece dating 1968. Anyone think they could be worth anything?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

JokerD wrote: »
    I was in the front garden and after a lot of digging I found a coin. It was unclear so I put it in Coca Cola for a while. When it cleaned up I noticed the date on it was 1916 which I thought was very symbolic. It is a ONE PENNY. Would it be worth anything?
    Sorry Mods if this should be somewhere else but I didn't know where else to post it:confused:

If it was a valuable coin you would have destroyed it's value the minute you tried to clean it. However British 1916 Pennies are common as muck and are worth little over face value. They were the pennies they used in Ireland at the time. So at least you can say you found something that was used during the Rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i have 3p coin from either 34 or 43 cant remember lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Degag wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but seeing it reminded me that i have a farthing dating 1941 and a 3p piece dating 1968. Anyone think they could be worth anything?

Cheers.

They are not worth much, unless that 1941 farthing is one of the proof like samples or forgeries. It wouldn't be anyway if it was something you just found lying around in a drawer.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    i have 3p coin from either 34 or 43 cant remember lol.

Of the Irish 3d's the most valuable of the circulation issues is the 1939 but even they aren't worth much unless they are uncirculated. The other dates aren't worth a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Keep it, seems like a fantastic find and a great talking point.

Advertisement