Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub in Donegal Town

Options
  • 05-04-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Myself and my cousin will be staying in Donegal Town in June. likely at Ard Na Breatha so we would like to find a great pint within walking/staggering distance. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ard na Breatha is a fair bit outside the town. Can be walked, but might be a bit too far to stagger!

As for best pub, it depends on what you're into. The Forge is good enough spot, and other places worthy of a pint or two with bands on weekends are O'Donnells on the Diamond, MJ's and Coach House on Main Street. And of course, teh Abbey Bar is always busy over weekends with choice of live music or the Niteclub downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

How are out off the Diamond is the Ard Na Breatha? (I've staggers many miles in past, but now I'm a older with older legs)

If that is the case, are there taxi services in town? (is this question going to be a laugh?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

plenty of taxis except at 3 in thee morning always struggle then,
    pubs doms, the castle (if you dont want noise) tyrconnell bar must be the smallest place in town in fact thats the only three pubs in ive been in recently so wont comment o n the rest (actually the forge as well gets good reports)

map of ard na breatha
    http://www.irishtourist.com/details/ard_na_breatha_guesthouse.shtml
    and thats wrong cos its the otherside of the ring road

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LOL, forgot about Doms, knew I was missing a big one! :)

Doms is a good spot too. Was always hard to beat the Tirchonnaill bar for a few drinks. But then, I like the small pub atmosphere at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

You can walk from Ard Na Breatha to the Diamond in 15 minutes.. There is a wee short cut.. ask the lady of the house Teresa for directions.

Like most towns each of the small pubs has its regulars during the day. If you like a little bet on the horses O'donnells cant be beaten. There is always an expert on hand to advice and the bar staff will pop next door and put on a bet for you if you like.

A seat by the window in The Reveller will allow you to watch the world go by on the Diamond.

There is trad Irish music session every night in The Reel Inn (363 days of the year).

Like others I like the small pub atmosphere where there is always a wee bit of craic.

(hey byte i have probably sat next to ya at some stage).:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

The Forge, The Reveller (can get crowded at weekends), O'Donnels and MJ's are all good. The Abbey gets good after 12 or so but i'd avoid their night club. Most of the pubs are more or less on The Diamond anyway so not much walking around invloved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

irish1967 wrote: »
    You can walk from Ard Na Breatha to the Diamond in 15 minutes.. There is a wee short cut.. ask the lady of the house Teresa for directions.

Excellent! Thank irish1967, I will do. Looking forward at staying at the Ard Na Breatha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

How I miss the Star Bar..................:(

The craic, as they say, was mighty

Advertisement