Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Newspaper

Options
  • 05-04-2009 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hows it going? I currently setting up a new online newspaper for galway. Anyways was just wondering what you guys think of the idea?

I will be looking for loads of editors through galway city boards for the following areas:
    News, Gossip, Sport, Nightlife, Business, Travel,
    (any suggestions would be great!)

In return for being an editor your name will be on all your articles & any advertising that may arise in the future of the e-paper on the page with your article, the profits will be on a shared basis.

So you guys think its a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

But we've already got Galway newspapers, even if they are badly written and boring. Why do we need another?

Does it have to be real news or can we make stuff up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 galwayuncovered

@ Moonflower: As you said they are badly written and hopefully through the likes of boards we will get editors who can actually write decent articles to read

@pg633: Only on April Fools Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

But if there was another one do you think people would bother to read it? Not all that much happens here and tbh I think most people just read the others because they're free and easy to get at.

I'm sure you've already though about all that, but I'm just putting those points out there. Good luck with it anyway and if you need anyone to write about beauty or fashion look me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rev33

Not sure powerpoint would be the way to go with this.. May as well plan it well from the start and use something more suitable for web.. You could set it up as a blog at the start & then convert this to a printed version if it was taking off (e.g blogs can be set up here.. http://wordpress.com/).. Just think powerpoint would be very messy & a blog would achieve same results with much less effort.. either that or you could set it up as a pdf viewable online if you wanted more control of the design..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The Irish Star might be recruiting.

@rev33: I edited out that it was going to be based on powerpoint. I have something working on a nice xhtml template suited as a newspaper. This way I can add rss feeds to the likes of siliconrepublic on the site as well.

Just wondering how you guys would feel about writing articles and being paid through a system where if someone wanted to advertise in your area of the site?

rev33 wrote: »
    Just think powerpoint would be very messy & a blog would achieve same results with much less effort.. either that or you could set it up as a pdf viewable online if you wanted more control of the design..
    Yes, worldpress or an online PDF would be the way to go. I wouldn't go anywhere near powerpoint for that sort of project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rev33

another way to do it would be to give free advertising to anyone that contributes content to the site - at least until it starts getting good traffic.. may be interested in contributing in future, have sent pm

rev33 wrote: »
    another way to do it would be to give free advertising to anyone that contributes content to the site - at least until it starts getting good traffic...
    Interesting idea rev33...

I have also sent a pm showing interest.

• Advertisement

Anybody who is interested in the project please email me conor[at]galwayuncovered.com

Please state what you would be interested in doing, your background, your experience and ideas for the e-paper

as stated above, pdf or webpage is only way to do.. preferably webpage.

interesting idea but the wrong time to be trying this. the other newspapers are suffering from less advertising and classifieds revenue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Sounds good but if it follows in the same vein as the other Galway newspapers I shant read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

You've hit on one of my pet hates!! """Online Newpapers"""??? :mad::mad::mad:

Lads this is called a WEBSITE! :confused:

I don't mind if it's an online version of a printed newpaper, preferably just a pdf copy of the exact paper. Or maybe a few sample articles as a teaser/trailer for the real paper. But taking the newspaper format, then trying to replicate that on a website including the banner title and calling it an online newspaper is just ridiculous. (see Ireland's "first solely online newspaper" - http://www.carrickgazette.ie/ )

Why can't it just be a Galway website instead of this stupid concept of an "e-paper". It's not on paper! Next they'll have printed copies of "Offline Websites?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

A Galway Onion!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

who needs an online newspaper when we have boards? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

Would recommend Quark Xpress or Desktop Publishing for that kind of project. If you are serious about all this then you should approach media students in Galway for article submissions, GTI have a Journalism course. I think you need to work on your original idea, writing a mission statement would be a good start. Really do wish you lots of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I think you need to use a CMS (Content Management System) for something like this. Joomla etc. Using desktop publishing software if purely for printed media, you should be aiming at a fully interactive website. I've developed and run a few websites so might be able to give you a few pointers.

But are you doing this as a community project type thing? Or as a personal money spinner (advertising revenue)?

Advertisement