Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking Usage on BT

Options
  • 05-04-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

So i've read here that bt have changed to a 30 day rolling cap. I only added a meter on xp in the last week but why can't you check for 30 days rolling online like other providers.
    The old page is essentially useless now, right? http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/
    Second question is, how far over my 30 gig limit, would they start throttling. I say I might be a gig or two over at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you were over, you'd already have been throttled, they do it at nidnight the day you go over.

keep itunder 3gb a day and you'll be fine. if yu go much more over that then you'll start to find yourself launched back to the days of dialup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Are you on the 7.6 meg package?....i'd say keep it at 60GB or under in any 30 day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You could use something like netmeter. But it includes traffic from your LAN which distorts things greatly.

the only sure way to tell (esp. if you use mre than one device on your network) is to use a router that will give you detailed usage stats.

something that will run 3rd party firmwares like dd-wrt or tomato firmware would be ideal.

other than that, there really is no way to be 100% sure.

it's really not on though, on the part of ISP's.

if they can monitor your usage in such a way that they can throttle you whenever you step over their invisible limits, they should b able to provide a way for you to check your usage in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Ya i'm on 3meg, so stuck with the 30gig limit. Good to know I haven't passed it then. At least on eircom you can monitor it properly:mad: . Thanks for the help lads.

• Advertisement

the only real way to tell is to test it. ;)

don't go bonkers, just push what you think are your limits a bit and see what happens.

they're still not charging for going ove,r just throttling and if you don't go over by a huge amount then the throttle will only be there for a day or two anyway.

might be worth your while to find out for yourself exactly how much breathing room you have. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

I just got throttled in the last few days on the 'unlimited' package, turns out I downloaded 50gb on the 8th March alone... :rolleyes:

Advertisement