Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

engine size for test

• 05-04-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Lads, what size bike to I need to do my test on to fill all categories of bike? I already have a full car license and provisional bike license. Also, my father has a full license on all vehicles except bikes, he must do a theory test for the bike soon, does he still have to wait 6 months before applying for a test? I have my provisional well over 6 months so I am ok. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A 250cc would do fine. They'd have around 20bhp, so no restriction worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

??:confused: 20bhp where are you getting that figure?
    Anything over 150cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

They are very few if any 150s. I suggested a good size and power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

They are very few if any 150s. I suggested a good size and power.
    I didn't say there was, Anything over 150cc is what the RSA say. Its the all 250cc bikes are around 20bhp that I don't get.

I did my test on a dragstar 650. As long as the bike is within the power/weight ratio on your licence, it'll do fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

As far as I know there's a fair few 250CC bikes that are well over 20bhp (I know some aren't learner legal as over 33bhp) so I don't think you could make any kind of statement equating 250cc to 20bhp. Or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

anything over 150cc but not over 33bhp basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

For your info - you wont be asked to provide any proof of power restriction - you just have to sign a declaration which states your vee-hicle complies with any licence restrictions. Just in case your worried about needing a cert....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

As well as having the appropriate bike, your learner permit should be for class A. If it's class A1, that only permits you to ride 125cc or under so if you turned up on a bigger bike for your test you wouldn't be allowed to do it (since you're not licenced to ride it).

Apologies for stating the obvious, and apologies if you have the correct class on the learner permit (you didn't mention it).

And yes, your father will have to wait 6 months before he can do a test, from the date he gets his learner permit - the fact that he's got a full licence for anything else doesn't count.

Advertisement