Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuna

• 05-04-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I am going to start eating tuna as I heard it's a good source of protein and Im trying to up my protein intake.

I bought a can today of John Wests Tuna in Brine and am not sure how to eat it?
    Do you just eat it out of the can or in a sandwich?

Do you have any serving suggestions?

Is there any other foods that are good sources of protein apart from tuna, and chicken?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I usually open a can, drain it, and then throw it into a big salad with a lot of green veg. Or you can mash it with some seasoning (cinnamon is surprizingly good with tuna) and put it in a sanadwich. Onions or chives are good too. Add a very small amount of mayo or yogurt to make it stick together.

You can also use it instead of meat in things like casserole or burgers if you like.

Eating it out of the can is considered very hardcore. You'll get tired of it very quickly if you do that. Salmon out of the can is much tastier.

Any type of fish is high protein. Tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, prawns, cod, trout, calamari, monkfish.... Also all red meat. You can go for lean cuts if you are trying to keep fat down. Oily fish is full of Omega 3, so eat it even if is a high fat fish. Turkey is good too. Eggs and egg whites. Tofo. Whey protein. To a lesser extent, dairy products like cheese and milk, nuts and seeds, beans, pulses and some vegetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

EileenG wrote: »
    I usually open a can, drain it, and then throw it into a big salad with a lot of green veg. Or you can mash it with some seasoning (cinnamon is surprizingly good with tuna) and put it in a sanadwich. Onions or chives are good too. Add a very small amount of mayo or yogurt to make it stick together.

You can also use it instead of meat in things like casserole or burgers if you like.

Eating it out of the can is considered very hardcore. You'll get tired of it very quickly if you do that. Salmon out of the can is much tastier.

Any type of fish is high protein. Tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, prawns, cod, trout, calamari, monkfish.... Also all red meat. You can go for lean cuts if you are trying to keep fat down. Oily fish is full of Omega 3, so eat it even if is a high fat fish. Turkey is good too. Eggs and egg whites. Tofo. Whey protein. To a lesser extent, dairy products like cheese and milk, nuts and seeds, beans, pulses and some vegetables.

Thanks for the reply. Apologies for the stupid q but what do you mean by drain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Swizz wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Apologies for the stupid q but what do you mean by drain?

Open the lid a tiny amount and let the liquid the tuna comes in leak out.

BTW, M&S do tuna thats a bit more chunky and comes in olive oil instead of brie. Its nicer then John West imo

That.

They always pack tinned tuna in excess brine or oil. Don't know why, salmon is usually to eat from the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Aldi or lidl tinned tuna is packed with chunks of tuna barely any brine. The Nixe brand stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Unfortunately theres no M&S in my town, and is the tuna from Aldi/Lidl decent? I dont like buying meats from Aldi or Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

And should it be eaten in Sunflower oil or Brine or does it make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

EileenG wrote: »
    That.

They always pack tinned tuna in excess brine or oil. Don't know why, salmon is usually to eat from the tin.

John west actually do a new "no drain" tuna can now!

Exciting times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Random wrote: »
    And should it be eaten in Sunflower oil or Brine or does it make a difference?
    I think the difference is just taste. People trying to lower their salt might go for oil, those watching calories and/or fat might go for brine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Swizz wrote: »
    Unfortunately theres no M&S in my town, and is the tuna from Aldi/Lidl decent? I dont like buying meats from Aldi or Lidl.

Meat from Aldi/ Lidl is of the same quality to any other supermarket tbh. If it really bothers you Dunnes do own brand tuna for the same price.

• Advertisement

Lidl and Aldi are both fine. There's also Dunnes and Tesco that do an own brand version that is grand for sandwiches etc.

John West do tins of various sizes, plus pouches of "Tuna with a twist" which is flavoured and can be eaten straight from the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

has anyone seen/tried these new tuna cans? im thinkn extreamly dry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Tuna is delicious added to pasta sauce - just throw it into the saucepan as you're heating the pasta sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I have a tuna salad most days for my lunch. I use the tuna in brine, as one of the previous posters suggested, you open the can, drain the brine down the sink. I then put the tuna in to a bowl and add a small bit of mayo or salad cream, some basil as the base mix. Some days I'd throw in some black and green olives or lettuce, red/green peppers, whatever is in the fridge really. Tuna is very versatile, low in fat, full of protein, fills you up and tastes great (well least I like it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Wholewheat penne pasta, loads of tuna, arrabiata sauce and a little parmesan for the win. Nom nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I always open the tin, drain the brine really well, i press down on it with a fork until it stops dripping because I hate the texture when its too wet! I get a slice of lemon or lime and squeeze it into the tin and throw in some black pepper! It's a great snack... really good for you! :)
    I tried the John west 'Tuna with a twist' one day and I didn't like it, I got the lime one just to see what it's like and it was very soggy!! DIY is much better!

Advertisement