Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macro C&C

• 05-04-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Took the camera out for a spin today to the botanic gardens, finally got to try out my macro filters. Put the +4 on my 50mm and tried my best.

All were done wide aperture so I'm curious to see what ye think of the focus. I didnt do any editing yet apart from levels and the frame.

Any input appreciated - I'm not used to macro. Do these shots work better with greater depth of field?

3414406117_3e68a9e62b.jpg

3415212664_28f99e5f68.jpg

3414406623_fc1c64bdb8.jpg

3415212856_3991eb9018.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

I like them very much- nice simple compositions and unfussy colours- well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I like them too elfa. Well done. Of the four images, I think the first and the last are the strongest.

As regards DoF, I think you are on track here with these. It's not really about DoF for these types of images because it is so shallow and the subject is so large. The eye is naturally drawn to the in focus area in the image. IMO, that should be the most interesting part of the subject and the focus point you are after.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Nice work efla. I like the wide open aperture used and the compositions are plain, simple, and very nice. #2 reminds me of some that I had taken of a bush with red berries - the mistake (i think) which I made is that the aperture is slightly too wide - the depth of field too narrow, with some of the berries in focus, others out of focus but i felt with mine the composition was somewhat confused by the out of focus berries. I feel (but only a personal opinion) that the same applies with your #2 - the composition is slightly confused and while it does demonstrate tremendous wide aperture, narrow depth of field, and resulting bokeh, does it yield an image which you'd enlarge and place on your wall. IMHO you would with some of the others that you've posted but maybe not with #2.

Again - Nice work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks for all your comments,

I think the 1.8 was way too narrow, but I liked the bokeh, which I think is largely down to the filters. I need to mess around and see exactly how much DOF there can be with them, because I think it may be completely limited regardless of camera setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I like all 4 of them very much, they have a nice "nostalgic" feel to them. I quite like the DOF as well, I think it makes the actual flower 'stronger' as such.

Nice set altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

gorgeous pics!!!

I personally like the ''flat'' bokeh effect - especially in #4 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

All pics are beautiful, but I like number 1 the best

Advertisement