Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good lunch time grub

Options
  • 05-04-2009 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I would have to give my vote to the Pucan, excellent food, excellent value for money, can be a bit slow from time of order to actually getting your food though.

Made the mistake of going garveys with my folks last week, bad selection of food, and much more expensive.:(

Thoughts:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've eaten in most places in town for lunch and IMO the Dail has the most consistently good food, the service is great too. Have yet to have a bad meal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Paddys is good its right across from cuba

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Front door or Living room both have good lunches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aurora-borealis

Front doors okay, a bit slow sometimes. Dail overpriced hit or miss. I'm not even going to mention the quays, bad. Mac swiggans is nice, so is pucan garveys, park house n that place in the spanish arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Never been there but Mustard is suppossed to be pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

jayoo wrote: »
    Made the mistake of going garveys with my folks last week,
    Thoughts:confused:

+1

does the cleaning equipment not work in there ?????

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I like Kappa Ya on middle street. Wouldn't be to everyone's taste though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Vina Mara is great value for lunch - a tenner for a main course and a tea/coffee.

Ive been there 3-4 times over the last few weeks and its always been excellent food - especially the lamb and apricot meatballs

Park House is very good too, didnt like the Dail the few times i ate there while the Front Door has always been consistent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Never been there but Mustard is suppossed to be pretty good

Mustard is fantastic, I eat there every few weeks (since it opened a few years back, om nom nom :) ) and it's always great, pretty reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If you're out Knocknacarra side Sheridan's does great food with a nice atmosphere, friendly staff etc. The eastern European food in Krcma in Salthill is also tops although it may be an acquired taste.

In town I like the feed in Monroe's. Not overly impressed with the Front Door, Buskers or the Living Room. Haven't tried the Dail yet but have heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

where is mustard?

Nathan251 wrote: »
    where is mustard?

Bridge Mills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Lads ye cant beat the olde pucan for lunch, it does a fine fead of bacon and cabbage for 10 euro, or you can get the soup and sandwich for 5 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

If you're looking for comfort food you can't beat Blake's at the Galway Shopping Centre - cheap, big portions, and good solid food. Nothin fancy mind!

Can't beat the Western (on Prospect Hill) for a good solid meal either.

For somewhere fancy love Vina Mara, good value at the moment. The food in the Living Room is decent enough and reasonable, soup in the Amnesty Cafe on Middle Street is yum! Oh and also the pub at the corner of Mill Street and Dominick Street, can't remember the name but fantastic pub food, had a pumpkin and coconut soup there and I still dream about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bethlehem at Ballybrit, far better than any dingy pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Paddys is good its right across from cuba

Do you mean the pratai kitchen or the new blue moon place?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Tamarind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

The Western definetely gets the thumbs up from me. Was there recently, got offered more veg and spuds! And asked was it ok. Most places seem to have forgotten this.
    Tamarind yes too. The more places start putting on specials the better for us AND them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

I forgot about las salsa, jaysus lads do the fine olde burger meal for 7 euro, ya wuldnt get the likes of this burger from london to hati.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

whats tamaraind?
    da tang luchtime boxs are yummy at 6.50 each,then head off to arch and relax in sun..aah i am stuck in loughrea and starving right now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The Malt House (not sure if it is called the Old Malt) inbetween High Street and Middle Street is really good, and very reasonable for lunch.

Mains are from 10-14 euro and its is quality food in a lovely environment with proffestional waiting staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

The Indian restaurant on Middle Street (Spice Corner) still doing the All-you-can-eat lunch for €9.95 anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quiznos on a Friday, they do a Cajun Chicken sub for €2.99. Well worth a try and if you're brave enough, get some Jalapeños too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

is burger king open yet?

jasonorr wrote: »
    Quiznos on a Friday, they do a Cajun Chicken sub for €2.99. Well worth a try and if you're brave enough, get some Jalapeños too!

Quiznos isn't that great though. On average it's more expensive then Subway, there's limited seating and your subs are set unlike Subway where you can pick and choose what vegetables and Sauces you want.
    brmccfc wrote: »
    is burger king open yet?

Someone on here said it was due to open last Monday but it never did. According to the Tribune it's April 2oth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

RANIA wrote: »
    da tang luchtime boxs are yummy at 6.50 each

What do you get in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I found An Pucan fairly expensive and wasnt over impressed either!
    The food in The Cellar is consistenly good, however the attitude of the staff is shocking as is the service.
    Mustard is de-lish.. cant beat it... amazing!
    Heard very good stuff about Vina Mara, had no idea their lunches were so cheap, must check that out. The Dail is very hit and miss and The Front Door just isnt what it used to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Quiznos isn't that great though. On average it's more expensive then Subway, there's limited seating and your subs are set unlike Subway where you can pick and choose what vegetables and Sauces you want.

Strokes & folks, the cajun sub gets me every time, delicious! I honestly don't thin, I've ever enjoyed a meal in Subway as much! Student deal is great too...sub, chips, drink for €5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GalwayGirl1983

Buskers is really nice for lunch and dinner...probably not the cheapest place though. Huntsman and marriott hotel are good if you're outside town. Oh and that place that used to be called Ard Bia on quay st is really nice too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

How about we name and shame the sh1tholes instead,
    I got a toasted sandwich from oheirs down past living room on way to the roisin and it was 1euro more than in oheirs over beside dunnes in westside, i was not amused, and it was crap as well:mad::(

Advertisement