Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good lunch time grub

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

jayoo wrote: »
    How about we name and shame the sh1tholes instead
    Nope, opinions vary and taste is individual. Only good places please.
    Just because person A dislikes the food in restaurant R doesn't mean person B will.

Let's go by the old restaurant motto: "If you like our food, tell your friends; if you don't, tell us!"
    Also see bullet 8 in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gary82 wrote: »
    The Indian restaurant on Middle Street (Spice Corner) still doing the All-you-can-eat lunch for €9.95 anyone know?

I think it closed. (Think ... will look next time I walk past).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Originally Posted by gary82
    The Indian restaurant on Middle Street (Spice Corner) still doing the All-you-can-eat lunch for €9.95 anyone know?

I think it closed. (Think ... will look next time I walk past).

Yep, its closed - a few weeks now

Where would anybody recommend for an Indian, its been ages (GF hates Indian food) I remember Tulsi used to be good but its been an age...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think that place where Spice corner was is jinxed - this is the second (third) restaurant to close down there.

For good Indian food, Kashmir, Tulsi or that place on Flood street - Kumars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

bethlehem in ballybrit is good - lots of pasta for in or around a tenner

monroes is good but expensive

front door is a great feed for under 15

light lunch special in finnegans cant be beaten - 6.95 for soup and bread, toasted sandwhich and tea/coke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Magnus wrote: »
    I think that place where Spice corner was is jinxed - this is the second (third) restaurant to close down there.

Yeah, you'd think a food outlet near the head shops would do well!

Fairly dingy alleys round there after dark, maybe some people weren't comfortable going down there. It ain't always pleasant in daylight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Eek, Kumars has nostalgia value from the days of yore when it was the only reliable late night booze spot...looks lovely, fun decor, but the food....emm, not so much...won't go into detail, a gentle example EVERY dish looks/tastes the same.
    I was a Kashmir head, but now firmly an Eastern Tandoori fan, Spanish Parade just around the corner from Kumars, next to BK's (the latter a fave spot, but not open at lunch).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I know this is a bit of a bump but ate in Mustard over the weekend - flipping lovely. Well recommended

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mercuroman wrote: »
    I know this is a bit of a bump but ate in Mustard over the weekend - flipping lovely. Well recommended
    If it weren't against god and nature, I'd marry a Blackened Burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I've eaten in most places in town for lunch and IMO the Dail has the most consistently good food, the service is great too. Have yet to have a bad meal there.

The Dail is not bad at all. However they have so call hand cut chips for €3.95 a small portion :eek: but I fear they are not hand cut and straight from the freezer :mad:. The last time I got some they were dripping with grease :rolleyes:. Returned them and got them taken off the order so service was good.

Front door or Living room both have good lunches.

I have yet to get a good lunch in the Front Door, I have found their food very stodgy and fear I'll never darken their dining door again. I find the Living Room is good though.

Food in this country is not cheap so people should not take second best.

People should learn to complain if they are not happy and service and standards might slowly start to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

The Dáil and the Front Door are the same crowd aren't they? Would have thought the food is pretty much the same standard in both.

Food for Thought on Abbeygate St. is good for lunch.

Mocha beans isn't bad either for lunch time.

Bagel Factory has some kind of €5.95 meal deal offer on. I've found the service great there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Its a little bit out but the 12 in Barna does amazing food!! yummmmmmy!!!

The Dáil and the Front Door are the same crowd aren't they? Would have thought the food is pretty much the same standard in both.

True but hardly the same chef :confused:

As the Dail is fairly new it probably still has the excitement of a new opening behind it. I have brought many out of town friends to the Front Door many times and I have yet to find some one who has really enjoyed a main there. Will be the Dail from now on and we will see how long they can keep it up ;) In all fairnes to Buskers or the Living Room they have kept their standards so I can't see why the Front Door can't. Pubs make more money out of food than drink these days and they should do well to remember that it's the service and quality that keeps the customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

True but hardly the same chef :confused:
    True!! I meant in the context of same suppliers for quality of food etc.

Not a big fan of the food from the Living Room, I just found that the quality of the food itself wasn't great & service can be a bit touch and go

True!! I meant in the context of same suppliers for quality of food etc.

Not a big fan of the food from the Living Room, I just found that the quality of the food itself wasn't great & service can be a bit touch and go

But is it not logical that if one chef cares and the other dosen't the food will not be the same? If the Chef in the Front Door is not giving 100% (which I believe s/he is not) then the food will not be 100% ... you can have the best ingredients in the world and still have crap food if the chef is not up to scratch. Maybe they have improved but I was there 2 months ago and nothing had changed for me. There is only so many times you can give a place money for food and be disappointed.

Have not ate in the Living Room for a while so will bear that in mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Giving 100%? You make it sound like these places are Michelin starred eateries, not pubs who need to keep their cashflow up.

Any goon with the Pallas catalogue, a microwave and a sandwich toaster can pull it off.

And that's the problem ... any goon as you put it should be able to do it but they don't. It sickens me that places expect me to pay my hard earned cash for sub standard food ... if others are happy with it that's fine .... but I'll be damed if I do any more.

It's true "You get what you pay for" but just because something is cheap does not mean it should be sub standard. We have accepted such service for far too long and is it not too much to expect a decent bite whether it is a toasted sandwich or a 4 course meal. But the Front Door and the Dail are prime examples of the difference eventhough run by the same owner at the same price point :rolleyes: . Actually now that I think of it I might just boycot The Dails menu also just due to association to The Front Door :P .

I never used to complain but I hit breaking point a couple years ago. Last year I refused to pay for a piece of cardboard covered in oily fried onion & mushrooms on soggy bread with rock hard crust or as the Front Door calls it a Steak sandwich :rolleyes: . Previously my wife got chicken fahita's with over cooked chicken chunks big enough to choke an elephant and on 2 seperate occasions people got congealed batter on chicken strips ... just not acceptable. The dail advertises hand cut chips on their menu for 3.95 for a bowl. These turned out to have more oil in them than potato and it was obvious they were refried and from the freezer in the first place, I sent them back and got them deducted from the bill but they accepted it with grace where as it becomes more strained in the Front Door if you complain. I could go on all day :D Unfortunately that has been my experience and I'm not going to return my eating business to The Front Door, I'll still have pints there though :).

People need to realise that a lot of the time the quality of the food is down to the Kitchen and not the amount of money spent on the ingredients it self. And until people start being picky about how they get their food served up to them this sort of thing will always continue.

And don't start me on asking for my steaks medium rare :mad: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wa café is a nice spot. It's by the Revenue building near the docks. Japanese-type food for the most part, done quite differently to Kappa-ya, and with a fairly different range. Their bento box stuff is very, very tasty (Teriyaki burger ftw), and relatively good value, and their desserts are quite delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

I was in Debenhams restaurant the last day... Nice and speedy and the sandwich was nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I ate in Artisan recently and was mightily impressed.

The twelve is very good at the moment also; deffo worth the trip out to Barna, great food, great portions, great staff, well priced:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LeggyBrunette

Fibber McGees started doing food about 2 weeks ago.
    The food is nyom nyom.

Advertisement