Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real, Scar, or Steyr?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Birthday is coming up for someone and i'm either getting them a voucher for shooting or getting them an airsoft gun.

I've never done it and know nothing, but with constraints of choice being price, battery powered, being able to add stuff to it, and rifle-esque i've narrowed it down to these two:

Steyr
    or
    Scar

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cpl_mick_1234

Need to know a little of the person you want to buy for before an honest opinion could be given. i.e age male\female what they are into airsoft or real steel.

Personnelly if somebody was buying for me I would want the Scar as I have this Steyr already and I find it a great AEG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

He's just turning 18. Loves guns - any call of duty, all those "shows" like future weapons on discovery. Been hunting once with a family friend in germany, has a mate huge into airsofting. Really wanted a rifle license and airsoft gun at various points in the last year and a half.Eh, that's about all i can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

I'd personally recomend the Jing Gong g36c (http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_31&products_id=5) its probably one of the most reliable guns ever and its in cod4;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cpl_mick_1234

I would go with the Airsoft option as to the AEG I would get the best you can afford to buy Ring Tony and the Lads in Eirsoft and they will give you any advice you could want but know your budget first. If he is into call of Duty try one Like this

http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_43&products_id=37

or try this as it is steel

http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

It's really down to personnel choice. I myself would pick the Steyr, but both are good choices. Airsoft guns are limited to 1J of power so all the guns have pretty much the same range. So don't worry about something like that.

• Advertisement

Ok so i'm going to go with an airsoft, simply because it's cheaper for him to book the shooting himself if he wants to. Plus if i get the wrong gun, i assume he can exchange it if it hasn't been opened.

I really like the g36c and the "wooden" m14. Are there instances that there would be a major disadvantage to either? i.e. would the long m14 be difficult to use in one of those corridor game sections?

Can both take attachments like scopes, red dots etc?

Any other comments - all been highly enlightening i might add btw, so thanks!

You will find the guys at Eirsoft VERY friendly and helpful and I'm sure they would have no problems exchanging a gun if he wanted something else.

The G36 has a rail on top for red dot sights. But the M14 doesn't, it just has the iron sights.

And there are some instances where you would be at a disadvantage with having the M14. It's a long gun so you would be at a disadvantage if you were fighting in close quarters battle (CQB). That being said it is a marksman gun and is a very accurate gun straight out of the box. So you would have an advantage over other people at a distance.

The G36 is a great starter gun as its very reliable. They don't give much trouble (if at all). The stock is collapsible, so you could use it in CQB no problem. And then when you use it for longer range shots you can pull out the stock for a steadier aim.

You weren't lying about the lads in Eirsoft. Aside from a good chat about the guns, were even willing to negotiate a price deal on the phone. That's the way to run a business.

Anyway one last Q RE red dots:

BSA
    or
    Acog

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

ACOG it's prettier and the U.S Army use it, I think...
    but other than that they are both pretty good, the ACOG might look better on the gun, thats my view

Glad to hear they sorted you out, as I knew they would. Once again its just down to looks. They're both the same price and they both do the same thing.

I'm not the biggest fan of ACOG's, but I suppose the ACOG would look better on the G36 (Assuming you went with the G36), but its really up to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

A SCAR is less common than a g36c, and is compatible with all railed accessories, the JG g36c doesn't come with side rails.

Considering there is more metal on a scar, more rail space, its mags are more common and the gun itself is less common, I'd go for one of them.

edit: Oh I see you already ordered a g36c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Plus Scar's come in tan, Did i mention i like tan?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭MiniAirsofter

You weren't lying about the lads in Eirsoft. Aside from a good chat about the guns, were even willing to negotiate a price deal on the phone. That's the way to run a business.

Anyway one last Q RE red dots:

BSA
    or
    Acog

Cheers.

The Eirsoft guys are brilliant, yeah. For the red dot sights, I find the Acog a bit hard to see out of, compared to a BSA, which has a good big lens. Then again, I'm pretty sure the Acog would look a lot better on the G36C than the BSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If he likes future weapons then he has seen the masada episode, could get him one of them and he will love you forever

Advertisement