Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD - PSYCHOLOGY INTERVIEW

Options
  • 05-04-2009 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Well the letter arrived Friday morning giving me a date for the interview in TCD. Monday 20th April. Yikes!!!

Anyone got any pointers??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

Anyone???

All help greatly appreciated (and needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This is just general advice...

First off, Be yourself. Say what you want to say, in your own words otherwise you'll trip yourself up. (I made that mistake 1st time round). A good thing to do is write down the questions you'd like to be asked and then prepare answers for them.

Wear something you're comfortable in. I wore a suit the first time around but then this year wore a dress with cardigan and flats. Felt much better. I dunno if you're a guy/girl. Suppose for guys slacks with shirt and jumper is fine. Neat and smart is the way to go.

Always look them in the eye when speaking to them and give a good handshake. ;)

Understand the course you want to do - Know what is taught on the course, modules, placements, semesters. Know what type of areas you can go into after the course and if you have an idea of what area you'd like to work in. If you've talked to other students doing the course make sure to mention that. Obviously if you've gotten any work experience mention that.

Also, they may ask you how will you cope with the heavy study workloads. Mention any study skills you have learnt or if you've used a reflective learning journal (that seems like a BIG plus for me when I mentioned it). They want to know if you can cope with full time study so make sure you are very confident about it. If you've done any recent courses/training explain how you coped.

They may ask how will you cope financing the course. Wasn't asked at my interview at TCD but was asked at UL.

Use your life experience to show what type of person you are... you don't need to come across cocky just speak to them like you're speaking to a family friend about why you want to do the course. They'll be looking at your communications skills as well so good thought out answers will serve you well. The interview I went for was pretty informal. I'm guessing all the interviews for mature entry are held that way.

And always have 2 or 3 questions to ask them. Whether its what the timetable is like, how many other mature students are there on the course, placements, research opportunities, when will you find out about an offer, etc.

Okay so I don't want to be negative but don't be dismayed if you don't get in this year. I got in on my 2nd attempt. I contacted the heads of the department of each college and asked what my weaknesses were and spent the last year making my application stronger. So don't be disheartened.

But if you prepare your interview well you shouldn't have a problem! :)

Advertisement