Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA Confusion

Options
  • 05-04-2009 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi, I'm new to boards but coming with a serious problem.

Today my harddrive failed, it's in a pre-built Dell PC Dimension 5100,.....yeah suck now but was good back in 2004....well kind of :)

I'm looking for a new hard drive online but am confused as to wether or not I can use SATA 300 in my PC, thy're the type I've mainly seen online so I'm hoping they will, the only SATA 150 I've seen is a WD Raptor 10,000RPM drive. The drive I've taken out (the dead one) is a SATA 150, 250GB Maxtor, 3.5".
    Does that mean I'll need to buy a SATA 150 drive?

All advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Compushed

Any SATA drive will work for you, it'll just fall back to your 150MB/s controllers max speed (you won't notice, no drive reaches this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Nice one, thanks Compushed :)
    I don't mind the speed it runs at to be honest, it's for my parents more than anything, laptop for me soon :)

Shame XP died with that hard drive, and Dell didn't give the disc for it with the PC. They'll just have to use Windows 7 lol :D

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Compushed

No problem :-)

Just remember that many windows installation discs don't have all the SATA controller drivers on them. You MAY have to go to the dell website, download and feed the driver to windows during setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Hey :)

I have Windows 7 now and attempted to install but I get an error at the extracting files stage saying that the file is corrupt or missing.

Trying to install on a new WD Caviar 500GB.

Think I need the SATA Drivers?
    I found one here at Dells websote but I'm not sure is it the right one?

I think this applies to specific drives only yeah?
    here's the link.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=41&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIMENSION+5100&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

Any help appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the SATA drivers are only specific to the sata controller on your motherboard, not the drive itself, so as long as you get the right sata drivers for your motherboard you'll be grand.

oh, and make sure you get your network card or modem drivers too. :)

as long as you have those you can download the rest when you're up and running. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement