Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU - MSC in Career Guidance & Counselling

Options
  • 05-04-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is anyone doing this course? What is it like? What sort of time commitment is involved? Please advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Hey! I never knew such a course existed! i'm interested in doing this but am looking for alternatives, but of course if i google career guidance & counceling courses... i just get services being offered!

If anyone knows of any similar course please let me know!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Saffy09

Gibbins123.......Msc. in Career Guidance in DCU is the newest of the career guidance courses available. Not yet recognised by IGC but this (I would imagine) is only a matter of time. It sounds like a pretty intensive course - covers everything and more sort of thing. Sounds very like a very good course. All career guidance courses are at post graduate level therefore you will be expected to have a degree and many also require you to have a teaching qulaification and teaching experience.

Career guidance post grads are offered in TCD (part time) - Master in Ed career guidance option, UL (part time) PGD in career guidance, UCC (full time) PGD in career counselling, NUIM (full time) H dip in school career counselling. NUIM also offer a H dip in Adult guidance Counselling (Part time). This is offered at a number of outreach centres and lot of work done online. This course requires that you are seeing clients in a counselling context and have 3 years experience of working with adults in this area. NUIM ALSO (!) offer a certificate in adult career counselling (part time). This may allow you to continue on to H dip if you meet other requirements. HTH.

If interested in this area of work a good place to start looking for info is www.igc.ie and www.ncge.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zoomster

This course received DES recognition last month. I'm starting it in September.
    I have a HDip but didn't get a DCU place last year so did the NUI cert in counselling skills which is run at a number of CFEs around Dublin and rest of the country. (1 year part time) It's expensive 1200 but is a good foundation to have when applying for guidance counselling courses and gives you an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

zoomster wrote: »
    This course received DES recognition last month. I'm starting it in September.
    I have a HDip but didn't get a DCU place last year so did the NUI cert in counselling skills which is run at a number of CFEs around Dublin and rest of the country. (1 year part time) It's expensive 1200 but is a good foundation to have when applying for guidance counselling courses and gives you an advantage.

Another good cert to have if you are looking to train as a GC is the NUIM cert in Adult Guidance Theory and Practice. Esp if you want to focus on working with adults.
    http://adulteducation.nuim.ie/documents/AGandCcertbrochure2009.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caldana

hi,
    just wondering how the Masters is going. I don't have any teaching exp but have been working in HR and have a degree, but I'm interested in becoming a guidance teacher (schools).
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

But you'll need a Post Grad Dip in Education to get a permanent Guidance Counsellor post in a school. Your degree will need to be approved by the Teaching Council as well.

I think the DCU course would open up other guidance work e.g. community based, adult guidance, FE/PLC colleges and Third Level etc, but the whole Secondary area is awkward due to the requirement to be esentially qualified as a teacher as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 learning2010

Can anyone doing this course give any insight into what the course is like - apart from the info that is in the prospectus...? It's so new that it would be nice to get a testimonial from someone doing it in terms of learning on a personal and professional level? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starbucks1!

I'm going to apply for this course in Oct 2010 - if anyone is doing it at the moment it would be great to hear about it?

Also starting NUIM Cert in Counselling in Sept to give me a flavour for this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hansh

What other additional items/qualifications do you need to make yourself stand out on this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evorg

Hey, I am also thinking of doing this course and would love feedback from anyone who has completed it or is currently enrolled. thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement