Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT OpenReach vans - why in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else seen all BT OpenReach vans around Dublin over the last few weeks? I must have seen at least 10 so far in different locations – and all with UK registrations.

Probably wishful thinking, but are they doing local loop unbundling for BT Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I saw some too. Odd. A couple of guys were definitely doing something with underground cables!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw some of them about a couple of weeks ago. They were replacing a cabinet in Dublin city. It seems eircom are using grey boxes for cabinets instead of the usual green or older blue-grey cabinets. The two lads who were working on it were from Wales.

There was no fibre going in but the cabinets are capable of handling fibre equipment installations at a later date.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps Eircom are outsourcing work to BT Openreach in the UK, stands to reason the engineers have the experiebce already so cheaper then training exisiting eircom eng's or hiring lads when you only need a small amount of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Cabaal wrote: »
    Perhaps Eircom are outsourcing work to BT Openreach in the UK, stands to reason the engineers have the experiebce already so cheaper then training exisiting eircom eng's or hiring lads when you only need a small amount of work done.

Correct - that is exactly what is happening. In Fairness the Openreach guys and gals really know their stuff.

Mostly doing repairs/upgrades AFAIK, and are not just in Dublin.

Glad to see eircom validating the merits functional separation too :D (couldn't resist sorry)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

crawler wrote: »
    Correct - that is exactly what is happening. In Fairness the Openreach guys and gals really know their stuff.

They do alright, least from my experience

• Advertisement
Advertisement