Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a new cclub

Options
  • 05-04-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Would there be any chance of an mma coach starting a club in or around the louth/meath area

im sure there is plenty of interest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Well considering there are about 4 or 5 Irishmen capable of coaching MMA to a reasonable level I would say no (I don't include myself in that number by the way)

However another option is a training group. If ou really want to train, why not get together with a bunch of likeminded individuals and train away? It's how most of the gyms in Ireland started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Roper wrote: »
    Well considering there are about 4 or 5 Irishmen capable of coaching MMA to a reasonable level I would say no (I don't include myself in that number by the way)
    :rolleyes: How do you define 'a reasonable level'?

Justin,

A MMA coach might be hard to come by but you might be able to find some other combat sports to train in. You could start up a training group as well as that to train MMA specifically. It's not ideal but it's a lot better than nothing. If you willing to travel a bit there'd be plenty places you go training the odd time at weekends or whenever to supplement the training and get some tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Justin the idea of setting up a training group makes sense, what i'd suggest though is that you go to a few mma classes with a few of the lads who are also interested or even link up with an mma club for support and to help your 1 grow, My club is the closest to louth and Barry AKA roper is the next, maybe closer depending which part of louth/meath your coming from..

Kevin has a google map with the premises on it that he could put up the link to and you'll know where the clubs are..

either get a few lads to go to classes in mma for a while then set up some sessions and get 1 of the coaches to come down once a week to oversee your class-you'll end up with members with different experiences who can help in there area of expertise, after 1-2 years you can become a proper mma club in your own right and have your own style of mma!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: How do you define 'a reasonable level'?
    I use reason.

Roper wrote: »
    I use reason.

right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    right. :rolleyes:
    It stands to reason. I have BJJ skills, stand up skills and no wrestling skills, so I'm obviously deficient in that range and can only teach the fundamentals of that range. Other coaches around the country are the same, except their strengths and weaknesses may lie elsewhere. They may not admit it as readily as I do , that's all.

I'm not trying to insult anyone I'm just being realistic. It doesn't mean I'm not any good or the other coaches aren't any good, it's just the way it is. It'll change over time. We're unrecognisable from 3 years ago for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

MMA clubs map in Dublin

There's the map just for anyone interested. good luck with the search

It stands to reason. I have BJJ skills, stand up skills and no wrestling skills, so I'm obviously deficient in that range and can only teach the fundamentals of that range. Other coaches around the country are the same, except their strengths and weaknesses may lie elsewhere. They may not admit it as readily as I do , that's all.
    In fairness, when I started MMA most ‘MMA’ clubs I trained in were really BJJ clubs with an odd night of striking added in. That seemed to be the standard model for a good while. I’m sure there’s still plenty of clubs like that but there are more clubs taking a more rounded approach to the sport now. I’m even heard of rumours of certain Irish MMA clubs training wrestling!! :eek: That's just a rumour mind.

Advertisement