Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do sessions start so late in Ireland ?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I know this will be a bit of a hiding to nothing but I can' help but pose the question as a traditional musician new to Ireland (moved here November lst).

I moved here from Northumberland - borders with Scotland - where there were many sessions and without exception they started in the pubs around 8.00 pm in the evening, winding up around 10.30pm - 11.00 pm. There were also regular sessions to be had maybe on a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime.

Here in Donegal, and I presume in the rest of Ireland (?) absolutely nothing starts before 10.30 pm at the earliest.....many in fact don't bother turning up before midnight.... the time I would normally be thinking about going home from Northumberland sessions.

Can anyone explain to me why pub sessions start so late in the evening here given that it is perfectly normal for most human beings to be thinking about going to bed before midnight ? Nothwithstanding the fact of course that the Irish have more stamina than everyone else, or similar stuff like that....

Given what obviously seems to be the tradition of late starting sessions can ayone say what kind of reaction I might have to the suggestion of a Sunday lunchtime session, religious objections perhaps ? Would the locals find that a totally 'mad' suggestion ?

Just really curious as it is so different to my 'normal' session experiences.

I look forward to hearing your opinions

Cheers

flynnboy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I know in Dublin there are lunch time sessions... dunno about Donegal though. Maybe try further afield?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Great question and I have no idea myself.

When you think of all tourists who come to Ireland to hear music go to bed at 10.00 pm!! I think there should be a rethink of the session mentality forthwith

On a positive note, the session in the Spirit Store in Dundalk starts at 6.30 on a sunday and goes on until roughly 9.30 which is civilized.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

It just seems really strange. We had some friends over from Northumberland recently and they couldn't believe we were heading off for a session leaving the house at 10.30 to arrive at 11.00.....:rolleyes:

When it happened at the first session we went to we thought it was a one off but in fact it is every session.

One of the unfortunate side effects of this is that it excludes the younger kids from the session experience. Not only that but it excludes them from a learning experience. You'll all know that traditional musicians learn tunes and songs from their involvement with sessions and by listening to the more experienced players and singers. Given this and the fact that they cannot go to pub sessions because they are so late must surely have an effect on the tradition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

bush Baby wrote: »
    When you think of all tourists who come to Ireland to hear music go to bed at 10.00 pm!! I think there should be a rethink of the session mentality forthwith

Well it could be something to do with the fact that trad musicians aren't doing it for tourists, we don't get payed(usually!) they're playing for their own enjoyment, and if thats the time that suits them sure what harm!:)
    flynnboy wrote: »
    When it happened at the first session we went to we thought it was a one off but in fact it is every session.

Well I know plenty of sessions that start around 8 but the norm would be 9/half 9 really this side of the country, its usually later in the west, and presumably up in Donegal too.

One of the unfortunate side effects of this is that it excludes the younger kids from the session experience. Not only that but it excludes them from a learning experience. You'll all know that traditional musicians learn tunes and songs from their involvement with sessions and by listening to the more experienced players and singers. Given this and the fact that they cannot go to pub sessions because they are so late must surely have an effect on the tradition ?

All sessions aren't there to teach kids, sometimes the grown ups are there to play themselves no? Theres plenty of sessions geared towards learners anyway, and most young kids playing trad are taking lessons too. I wouldn't really see it as a problem, just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Well I know plenty of sessions that start around 8 but the norm would be 9/half 9 really this side of the country
    As I've said, not around here they don't. 11.00 is the earliest.
    All sessions aren't there to teach kids, sometimes the grown ups are there to play themselves no? Theres plenty of sessions geared towards learners anyway, and most young kids playing trad are taking lessons too. I wouldn't really see it as a problem, just my opinion though.
    Well that kind of goes without saying BP. I'm not saying that they should all be for learners, I was simply commenting on the fact that if you have the situation as you do here where there is not one session that starts before 11.00pm then it is a shame for the younger ones. Yes they probably are taking lessons but you can't beat the raw experience of playing in a session now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

As I've said, not around here they don't. 11.00 is the earliest.
    I know.:) But you did say sessions in Ireland, and Ireland is a big enough place! Sessions around here don't start that late so was just saying!
    Well that kind of goes without saying BP. I'm not saying that they should all be for learners, I was simply commenting on the fact that if you have the situation as you do here where there is not one session that starts before 11.00pm then it is a shame for the younger ones. Yes they probably are taking lessons but you can't beat the raw experience of playing in a session now and then.

Fair enough, point taken. I know myself personally, I didn't start going to "proper" sessions till I was around 15 or 16, and old enough to stay out late. Before that I would've just gone to lessons and played with older people at the local Comhaltas branch. I can see where your coming from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sounds like you need to get yourself down to Galway. There is two places I know that have sessions starting at 5.30pm most evenings (Taffes) and 6.00pm and 9.30pm (Tigh Colis), The Crane Bar most evenings from 9.30pm onwards.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Every Tuesday 8.00pm slow sets at Comhaltas, 32 Belgrave Square, Monkstown. Starts at 8pm usually runs to about 10.30 to 11.00. Starts off with sets out of Foinn Seisiun Books for first 60 to 90 mons then depends on who is there.

Ideal for musicians getting up to session speed but all welcome and free.

Advertisement