Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tripod suggestions?

• 05-04-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone give me some suggestions on a decent tripod that is going to be sturdy enough to take a 50D and 2.8 200mm lens? I think I would need the ball-head rather than pan and tilt but not 100%. I am not looking to spend serious money but at the same time I don't want a piece of cr@p..

Any suggestions? Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't skimp on the tripod.

you're putting a lot of trust into a tripod. you'll have some expensive equipment on it, so spend big when it comes to supporting that, the 2.8 200mm lens is a heavy fecker.

i suggest tripods from manfrotto very very sturdy and have excellent build quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I use the Manfrotto 058B with a selection of heads.

I find ball head most useful for general work, with a pan & tilt where required. I also have a plate with a micrometer for macro work (home built / adapted) that just attaches to the QR plate of a head.

This is the tripod I'd recommend to anybody, its taken all the abuse I can throw at it and never once complained. Constantly on the road with it and noting has begun to rattle or has fallen off to date. It'll carry a decent load too.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/2288?livid=68|69&idx=70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

thanks for the suggestions. Found a Giottos MTL8351B carbon fibre tri-pod for 98 sterling.....it can take 5kg so should be good enough, would it be a decent enough tripod or stay away?

thanks

I don't know, I've no experience of that product but the reputation of the manufacturer seems to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gas_ticket

Buy secondhand, as you can get more bang for your buck.

I've never bought a new tripod. The heavier the better, unless your carrying it very far. You could get a small light one for trekking, and keep a heavy one for stuff near the car.

I think it is said somewhere that Ansel Adams shot most of his stuff from on or near his car. OK it was big large format stuff, but if you want a good tripod, you might need a car to carry it.

• Advertisement

Don't forget that there ar several ways to carry a heavy tripod.

Mine lives in a case with a strap. It originally was a case holding a display stand for trade shows etc, I simply removed the cardboard inner roll and the tripod fits perfectly. It even has a shoulder strap.

Alternatively a person can fit D-rings and use a shoulder strap.

Or even get an assistant to carry it;)

Some may feel a heavy tripod a hinderance, I view it as a tool and worth getting to a location thats worth shooting from.

Anyways, back onto topic by me. Are you going with the Giotto? Be interested to know what you decide and what you think of it when you get it.

Are you going to view one before deciding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

well thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I read a lot of good reviews about this setup, and the price seems decent, so went for the following:-

Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head
    Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod

Advertisement