Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Police are copying Google with their latest Orwellian weapon against the public.

• 05-04-2009 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Unlike Google they will not automatically block out registration numbers and personal images but will digitally store this information on a database to be used as as evidence.

They are using patrol cars with spy cameras on a mast. Drivers talking on their mobile phones, eating, applying make-up or otherwise driving illegally will be pictured. It will also record you picking your nose :pac:

And as the telescopic cameras can zoom in from some distance, the first inkling that they have been snapped could be when a £60 fine lands on the doorstep.

Police say the new cars are identical to those used by Google to map town and city streets will help reduce road deaths. But motorists say the " Big Brother" vehicles will merely be another cash cow for the Government and a further 'tax' on hard-pressed motorists.

I would love to see one of these smart cars drive under a 2 Meter barrier :D

http://www.key103.co.uk/Article.asp?id=1256100&spid=23160

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1167634/Big-Brother-row-police-force-starts-using-Google-camera-cars-fine-wayward-drivers.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,517 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Yes how dare the police enforce the law? Who do they think they are? The police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

King Mob wrote: »
    Yes how dare the police enforce the law? Who do they think they are? The police?
    The old saying goes, "Put a beggar on horseback and he’ll ride to hell”. We may yet see these being introduced throughout the EU, sounds like a great idea to track down terrorists. :rolleyes:

The old saying goes, "Put a beggar on horseback and he’ll ride to hell”. We may yet see these being introduced throughout the EU, sounds like a great idea to track down terrorists. :rolleyes:
    But they're not using it to track terrorists nor would they.
    In fact the only use for it would be enforcing traffic laws. You know the polices function?

But they're not using it to track terrorists nor would they.
    In fact the only use for it would be enforcing traffic laws. You know the polices function?
    Duh, the same goes for the Congestion Charge Cameras, the are only used to monitor those paying the toll. :rolleyes:

Duh, the same goes for the Congestion Charge Cameras, the are only used to monitor those paying the toll. :rolleyes:
    From your usual :rolleyes: I take it you believe that this is not the case?
    You gonna back this up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

getting pulled over would be bad enough, but by a bloody smart car

Overature wrote: »
    getting pulled over would be bad enough, but by a bloody smart car
    They wont be pulling anyone over.

You will just receive a registered letter in the post with footage and a heafty fine. :eek:

You gonna back this up?
    As Always. :P

Police are to be given live access to London's congestion charge cameras - allowing them to track all vehicles entering and leaving the zone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6902543.stm

money-graphics-2007_882994a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

You gonna back this up?
    The Bible prophecised this 13,000 years ago. It's all a part of the reptilitan-bee's plans to pass the Lisbon Treaty and bring a New World Order upon us and introduce a cashless society...

The Bible said it so it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Ahhh just another way of keeping track of everything everybody does :o

As of tomorrow, somewhere there will be a big database keeping track of every website I visit... I'm wondering if this one is safe or will I somehow be singled out for visiting sites such as this? After all, even McAfee doesn't deem it to be safe. Those damn terrorists!:rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/technologynews/5105519/Internet-records-to-be-stored-for-a-year.html

Also, I better let my GP know that I don't want hundreds of thousands of people having access to my medical records :eek: (VERY interesting take on it here: ) Ahhh... those damn sick people!:rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6036286.ece

• Advertisement

As Always. :P

Police are to be given live access to London's congestion charge cameras - allowing them to track all vehicles entering and leaving the zone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6902543.stm

money-graphics-2007_882994a.jpg
    And how exactly are they going to connect live to the camera in the car?
    The congestion zone cameras are video the one on the cars are still frame.
    In fact if they transferred the entire system to the cars they wouldn't be able to have live access, you should be supporting this.

And yay more propaganda!

And how exactly are they going to connect live to the camera in the car?
    In the way that any other GSM MCS camera operates.

In the way that any other GSM MCS camera operates.
    Which is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Was the original story posted on April 1st by any chance ??? The Smart car pictured is in NO WAY identical to the Google cars, both in model and equipment type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

_45125387_buscctv512.jpg

I just uncovered a chilling cover-up. That photo, obviously made public by the corrupt British government and their reptilian-bee leaders, was photoshopped.

Using my extensive Photoshop skillz I was able to reverse the changes they made to the photo...but I'm not sure people will like what they see.

45125387buscctv512.jpg

Run_to_da_hills was right all along...it's the bees that have been watching us all along

Was the original story posted on April 1st by any chance ??? The Smart car pictured is in NO WAY identical to the Google cars, both in model and equipment type.
    Its irrelevant what type of car is being used, the concept is the same, the swivel "ball" type CCTV camera is extremely accurate and more so than any Google camera, the same cameras are used by the Police in riot surveillance vehicles and the latest urban CCTV installations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You will just receive a registered letter in the post with footage and a heafty fine. :eek:

For breaking the law.

Seriously, what do you think the police should do about people driving while on mobiles etc?

How do you suggest we make roads safer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Police say the new cars are identical to those used by Google to map town and city streets will help reduce road deaths.

And then:
    Its irrelevant what type of car is being used, the concept is the same, the swivel "ball" type CCTV camera is extremely accurate and more so than any Google camera

We're breathlessly told that these are identical to the Google cars, but when this is shown to be a total fabrication, we're told "Its irrelevant".

What is this, the Conspiracy Theory Forum ??? !!!!!!

Oh, it actually is. Sorry, came here from the front page. I'll leave you too it so.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    For breaking the law.

Seriously, what do you think the police should do about people driving while on mobiles etc?

How do you suggest we make roads safer?
    I am opposed to this method, there is enough sophisticated ANPR and CCTV throughout the UK at almost every major intersection without having to now placed them on wheels.

These cameras have the ability to elivate, pan, tilt and zoom in any direction and capture clear surrounding images of parked cars, pedestrians and cyclists etc and place them on a time frame.

If the authorities want to prevent people from using mobiles while driving they should increase the penalties and put more cops on the beat and not spy every other road user and member of the public in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Its looking like another "man replaced by machine" headline... What in the name of jesus is next?? Gardi wit guns or mace :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If the authorities want to prevent people from using mobiles while driving they should increase the penalties and put more cops on the beat and not spy every other road user and member of the public in the process.

First point, the cost of having more police on the street is a hell of a lot more than the cost of implementing the camera system.

And secondly, wouldn't cops on the street also be spying on every other road user and member of the public in the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I am opposed to this method, there is enough sophisticated ANPR and CCTV throughout the UK at almost every major intersection without having to now placed them on wheels.

RtdH but you've also ranted about ANPR and CCTV, now you're saying that you're okay with these methods just not mobile ones on cars?

Lets be honest here, The only way you'd be happy with UK traffic laws, if they were enforced by a team of short sighted bicycle powered Asmathics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Lets be honest here, The only way you'd be happy with UK traffic laws, if they were enforced by a team of short sighted bicycle powered Asmathics.
    Works for me:D:D:D

to be fair if they want to have all these rules and laws then there needs to be a bit of fairness too

how about County line jurisdictions, ya know like Smokey and the Bandit :D:D

If the cops can catch me in my 'souped up rocketship'* before a designated point then yeah I'll cop a fine, however if I make it over the line then they cant touch me.

* we phrase it like that to weed out all the tools in Civics and Glanza's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Works for me:D:D:D

to be fair if they want to have all these rules and laws then there needs to be a bit of fairness too

It is fair, don't break the law, don't get a fine.
    how about County line jurisdictions, ya know like Smokey and the Bandit :D:D

If the cops can catch me in my 'souped up rocketship'* before a designated point then yeah I'll cop a fine, however if I make it over the line then they cant touch me.

Whatever, you don't seem to understand that speeding kills.

Advertisement